Muhammad Ramadan | August 9, 2023 | Motorcycle Accidents
I’ve Been Hurt in a Motorcycle Accident in Chicago – Do I Need a Lawyer?
Motorcycle accidents can have catastrophic consequences. These accidents can lead to major injuries or even fatalities.
Common motorcycle injuries include the following:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Broken bones
- Spinal injuries
- Neck injuries
- Internal bleeding
- Soft tissue damage
- Wrongful death
Following a motorcycle accident, your medical bills and out-of-pocket expenses will begin piling up. It can be difficult to deal with an insurance company as you try to heal in the aftermath of a motorcycle accident. An experienced motorcycle accident lawyer can help you navigate this overwhelming process.
Why You Might Need an Attorney After a Motorcycle Accident
Hiring an attorney for your motorcycle accident can help you get the compensation you need.
The following are things to remember if you are in a motorcycle accident:
- Getting immediate medical attention can help substantiate your personal injury claim
- Do not admit fault after a motorcycle accident, even if you believe that you are partially to blame
- Obtain a police report and review it for any issues or inaccuracies
- The first settlement offer from the insurance company is often low
- Consult a motorcycle accident attorney before agreeing to accept a settlement offer and before you speak with any insurance companies, ideally
- Do not cash a settlement check sent by the insurance company before consulting with an attorney
- Do not provide a recorded statement to an insurance company before speaking with an attorney
As your medical bills and lost wages accumulate, your attorney will work to get you the money you deserve for your motorcycle injury. Keep in mind that insurance companies stay in business by limiting their liability for claims, not by paying maximum amounts.
The following are damages that your motorcycle accident attorney can pursue on your behalf:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Future losses
- Pain and suffering
- The loss of enjoyment of life
- Property damage
- Loss of consortium
If you are injured in a motorcycle accident, you may be able to recover damages with the help of a qualified attorney. Your lawyer can even the playing field with the insurance company and negotiate on your behalf for a more favorable settlement.
What Should You Do if You Are in a Motorcycle Accident?
Motorcycle accidents are terrifying. It can be helpful to know what to do if you are injured in one.
The following are steps to take following a motorcycle accident:
- Seek medical attention immediately
- Notify the police of the motorcycle accident
- Exchange contact and insurance information with the other motorist
- Take photos and videos of the accident scene, visible injuries, and property damage
- Get witness statements and contact information
- Take your own notes regarding what occurred, the road conditions, and vehicle information
- Notify the insurance company of the accident but do not agree to provide a recorded statement
- Contact a motorcycle accident attorney immediately for a free consultation
Be mindful that if you are injured in a motorcycle accident, you have a limited time to bring your claim. In Illinois, you must bring your personal injury claim within two years of the accident. If the statute of limitations expires, you will be barred from recovering compensation. Contacting an attorney immediately following a motorcycle accident can help you avoid missing important deadlines.
What Can a Lawyer Do for a Motorcycle Accident Case?
Following a motorcycle accident, a lawyer can speak with you about your legal options and how to get you compensation.
The following are things your lawyer may do following a motorcycle accident:
- Investigate the accident scene
- Determine the cause of the accident
- Document and gather evidence
- Negotiate with the insurance company for a settlement
- Go to court and trial if necessary
Your motorcycle accident lawyer will work hard to build your case and get you compensated. If you are injured in a motorcycle accident, contact an experienced lawyer for a free and confidential consultation.
Contact Our Chicago Motorcycle Accident Law Firm For Help Today
If you’ve been injured in an accident in Chicago, Illinois, and need legal help, contact our experienced motorcycle accident lawyers at Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers to schedule a free consultation today.
We proudly serve Cook County and its surrounding areas: