Did you or a family member suffer a brain injury because someone was negligent in Chicago, IL? An experienced Chicago brain injury lawyer at Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers can help you fight for the fair compensation you deserve. You may be entitled to compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and your family’s pain and suffering.
Our lawyers have over 30 years of experience fighting for clients who have sustained serious injuries. We’ve recovered tens of millions of dollars in settlements and verdicts over the years. Call us at (312) 929 2884 for legal help.
It’s important to understand your legal rights if you were injured in an accident. Contact our law offices in Chicago, Illinois, to learn more about how our lawyers can help you today.
Why Should I Hire Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers To Help With My Brain Injury Claim in Chicago?
You deserve to have an experienced personal injury attorney in Chicago by your side when you’re coping with the aftermath of a serious injury. While you deserve to hold the responsible parties accountable, recovering fair compensation won’t be simple. You may not know how much your case is worth–and you should expect the insurance company to try to minimize your damages.
At Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers, our lawyers have been recognized by Super Lawyers and The National Trial Lawyers’ Top 40 Under 40. We’ve helped countless clients like you over the years.
Hiring us means you’ll have an attorney to:
- Gather evidence to support your case
- Determine who is liable for your damages
- Hire experts to strengthen your case
- Assess your case value
- Handle all insurance negotiations while you recover
The insurance adjuster may put on a friendly face, but don’t be fooled. Contact an experienced Chicago personal injury attorney to look out for your best interests today.
Overview of Brain Injuries
A traumatic brain injury is a brain injury caused by a sudden force or blow to the head. Acquired brain injuries are caused by factors within the body.
There are two primary categories of traumatic brain injury:
- Closed-head injuries
- Open-head injuries
Closed-head injuries occur when the brain is jolted within the skull. Contact with the skull itself can be forceful enough to cause brain damage. The most common type of closed-head injury is a concussion.
Open-head injuries occur when the skull is penetrated by a foreign object. When the skull is penetrated, the delicate brain tissue beneath can be damaged. These types of injuries can be life-threatening. Victims may even require surgery.
We Handle All Types of Brain Injury Cases
The brain is a complex organ. There are many different ways to damage delicate brain tissue.
At Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers, our lawyers handle all types of traumatic brain injury (TBI) cases, including those involving:
- Contusions, which cause bruising of the brain tissue
- Cerebral edema, or swelling of the brain tissue
- Diffuse axonal injuries (DAI), which are extremely serious and cause tearing of the brain fibers
- Penetrating brain injuries and skull fractures
- Intracranial hematomas, which can cause large blood clots
- Coup-contrecoup brain injuries, which affect two regions of the brain on opposite sides
- Brain hemorrhages
- Birth injuries
- Stroke and other acquired brain injuries
- Hypoxia, or brain damage caused by oxygen deprivation
If you or a loved one were injured, contact our lawyers as soon as you can. Brain damage can impact every aspect of your life. It’s important to start building your claim for compensation as soon as possible after an accident and injury.
Are Brain Injuries Common?
According to studies published by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), brain injuries are common in the U.S. In fact, about 3 million Americans suffer some type of brain injury each year. Fortunately, many of those brain injuries are mild.
According to the CDC, these statistics don’t include the thousands of Americans who visit emergency rooms, urgent care centers, or primary care physicians each year.
What Are Some Warning Signs of a Brain Injury?
It’s always important to seek medical care immediately after an accident. Even if you walk away from an accident, you might not know that you have suffered a brain injury right away. In fact, for some types of brain injuries, the victim won’t show signs of any injury for hours or even days.
Some important warning signs to watch for include:
- Loss of consciousness, even for a moment
- Nausea or vomiting
- Ringing in the ears
- Dizziness or blurred vision
- Memory loss
- Personality changes, including irritability
- Difficulty sleeping or waking
- Slurred speech
- Persistent headache
- A metallic taste in the mouth, or changes in taste and smell
- Sensitivity to light
- Inability to concentrate or think
- Problems with balance or motor function
If you or a loved one are showing any of these symptoms, see a doctor as quickly as possible. Some brain injuries can worsen over time without proper treatment.
What Are the Potential Long-Term Consequences of a Brain Injury?
The long-term impact of a brain injury can vary from case to case. Brain injuries can be mild, moderate, or severe.
The consequences of a brain injury can depend on:
- The regions of the brain that are impacted
- The type of injury involved
- How the injury occurred
Some examples of the potential consequences of a brain injury include:
- Cognitive disabilities
- Personality changes
- Loss of inhibitions
- Loss of mobility
- Vision loss
- Loss of speech
- Loss of the ability to understand speech
- Memory loss
- Coma or vegetative state
- Wrongful death
These are not the types of consequences that should be taken lightly. If you or a loved one suffered a serious brain injury, seek legal advice today. Call our personal injury law firm in Chicago to learn more about this practice area today.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Brain Injuries?
Brain trauma can occur in any type of accident.
Some of the most common causes of traumatic brain injuries in Chicago include:
- Car accidents and other motor vehicle accidents, including motorcycle accidents and trucking accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Accidents involving pedestrians, bicycles, and electric scooters
- Bus accidents
- School accidents
- Boating accidents
- Sports accidents
- Swimming pool accidents and drownings
- Construction accidents
- Workplace accidents
- Dog bites or animal attacks
- Defective products
- Medical malpractice
- Intentional violence and assault
- Negligent security and dangerous premises
Brain injuries can dramatically impact your quality of life. If you were involved in an accident, contact Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers to learn more about how our Chicago brain injury attorneys can fight to recover the fair compensation you deserve.
What Is My Chicago Brain Injury Case Worth?
The value of your personal injury case will depend on a number of different factors. The severity of your injury tends to be the most significant factor.
However, you can count on our lawyers to evaluate all relevant factors when assessing your case value, including:
- The cost of your current medical treatment
- Your doctor’s prognosis and whether you will require ongoing medical care
- Whether you will require assistance with basic activities of daily living
- Whether you can work during recovery
- Whether you’re expected to return to work in the same capacity
- How the injury will diminish your quality of life and change your lifestyle
- Your family’s emotional suffering
- The circumstances of the accident
The details can make a huge difference in cases involving serious brain injuries. Our lawyers will conduct a detailed analysis. With the help of experts and specialists in various fields, we’ll determine how much your personal injury claim is worth.
What Compensation Can I Recover if I Sustained a Brain Injury in Chicago, Illinois?
Brain injury victims can seek compensation for their economic and non-economic damages.
Examples of the compensation you may receive include:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Future medical expenses
- Long-term care, rehabilitation, and specialized therapies
- Lost future earning capacity
- Assistance with household tasks
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Diminished quality of life
- Loss of your independence
- Loss of consortium
Because brain injuries can impact your life in so many ways, it’s important to have an experienced accident lawyer help you document your losses.
What Is the Deadline for Filing a Personal Injury Lawsuit After a Brain Injury in Chicago?
Every state has a deadline for filing a personal injury lawsuit after an accident. The deadline is called the statute of limitations. If you sustained a brain injury, you’ll only have two years to take legal action under Illinois.
That said, you could have more or less time. The statute of limitations varies depending on how you were injured. For example, if you were injured because of a doctor’s mistake, you will have two years from the date you discovered the injury to file a medical malpractice lawsuit.
Contact a Chicago Brain Injury Lawyer for a Free Consultation
Did you or a family member suffer a traumatic brain injury (TBI)? Contact a Chicago brain injury attorney to handle the legal issues. At Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers, we offer free initial consultations so you can get the legal advice you deserve without financial risk.
Our personal injury law firm in Chicago, IL, also provides:
- Amusement Park Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Assault Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Aviation/Airplane Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Bad Faith Insurance Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Birth Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Boating Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Burn injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Bus Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Car Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Catastrophic Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Child Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Construction Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Dog Bite Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Electric Scooter Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Lyft Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Mass Transit Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Medical Malpractice Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Motorcycle accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Negligent Security Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Nursing Home Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Pedestrian Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Premises Liability Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Product Liability Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Sexual Assault Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Slip and Fall Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Taxi Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Train Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Truck Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Uber Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Workers’ Compensation Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Workplace Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in Chicago, IL