You may qualify to receive compensation if you’ve recently been injured in a car accident involving an Uber rideshare vehicle in Chicago, Illinois. However, the path to financial recovery can be stressful and complicated. That’s where the Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers can help. Our award-winning Chicago Uber accident lawyers can help you not only win your case but get every last cent you deserve.
Since 2011, Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers has been a source of support and strength for crash victims and devastated families in Chicago and throughout the State of Illinois. We give our clients a voice and don’t settle for less than they deserve – even when faced with the toughest adversaries. This is reflected in our results – which include tens of millions of dollars in jury awards and private settlements.
Don’t hesitate to reach out to our experienced legal team in Chicago, IL, to learn more. Our law office provides a free, no-obligation case evaluation, so give us a call at (312) 929-2884 to get started today.
How Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help If You’ve Been in an Uber Accident in Chicago, IL
Why did Uber get into a car accident? Is the Uber driver at fault? Can you sue Uber for damages stemming from the crash? What happens if someone tries to blame you for the wreck? How much is your Uber accident case worth, anyway?
You don’t have to try to find the answers to these (and other) important questions on your own. In fact, you shouldn’t try to navigate the challenges of an Uber accident claim by yourself. Hiring an experienced Chicago personal injury attorney can make a huge difference as you work toward a meaningful financial recovery.
At Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers, we understand the challenges you’ll face along the way and are ready to stand up and make sure that you get every opportunity to recover the compensation you deserve.
We’ll handle every aspect of your Uber injury claim while you take time to get back on your feet:
- Investigate the crash and work to understand how and why it happened
- Determine who caused the accident and who’s on the hook for damages
- Analyze evidence obtained throughout the discovery process, including vehicle maintenance records, driver history, accident reports, physical evidence from the scene, and witness statements
- Handle settlement negotiations with the Uber driver, their insurance company, and other parties on your behalf
If you don’t receive a fair settlement offer, our experienced Illinois trial attorneys will be fully prepared to argue your case in court. We’ll be there to fight to get you the best possible result, no matter the time or resources it may take.
Don’t hesitate to call our law office in Chicago, IL, to get started. Your first case evaluation is absolutely free, so get in touch with a member of our team today.
How Do I Recover Compensation After a Chicago Uber Accident?
Insurance will be your primary source of compensation after an Uber accident in Chicago. However, determining whose insurance company should pay for your damages can be a challenge. Often, it ultimately depends on whether the Uber driver was working at the time of the collision and, if so, in what capacity.
Uber Driver at Fault and Off the Clock
When an Uber driver is off-duty and causes an accident, they’ll be personally liable for consequences. Typically, their insurance will cover costs incurred by crash victims – like medical bills and lost wages. If your damages exceed the Uber driver’s insurance policy limits, you can then seek additional money from the driver through a civil personal injury lawsuit.
Uber Driver Waiting For a Ride Request
When an Uber driver is waiting for a ride request, they’ll still be personally liable for a crash. However, since they were actively seeking work, Uber has a limited insurance policy that will also cover crash-related damages.
Uber’s limited coverage includes:
- $50,000 per person and $100,000 per accident in bodily injury, and
- $25,000 per accident in property damage
Uber’s insurance policy is secondary coverage, which means that it’ll kick in once you’ve exhausted benefits from the Uber driver’s policy.
Uber Driver Has Accepted a Ride Request
While Uber drivers will still be primarily responsible for accidents they cause, Uber has a $1 million insurance policy that becomes effective the moment a driver accepts a ride request. In these situations, the million-dollar policy covers accidents that occur up until a ride is completed.
Other Parties At Fault
There are times when an Uber driver won’t be entirely – or even partially – at fault for an Uber accident. Other potentially liable parties could include negligent drivers of other passenger vehicles, motorcyclists, pedestrians, bicyclists, employers, vehicle manufacturers, or even government agencies.
When someone other than an Uber driver shares fault, they can be personally responsible for the consequences of a crash, too. In many cases, they’ll have insurance to help cover the costs of your injuries.
Can I Sue Uber After an Accident With One of Its Drivers?
Generally speaking, no. Uber drivers in Chicago are independent contractors, which means that the company isn’t vicariously liable for accidents in which they’re involved. While you may not be able to sue Uber for an accident, you may still qualify to receive benefits from one of its car insurance policies.
What Types of Damages Can Be Awarded to Uber Accident Victims in Chicago?
When you file an Uber accident claim or lawsuit, you may be able to recover compensatory damages for your costs and suffering.
These fall into two categories: economic damages and non-economic damages.
Economic damages make up for the financial expenses and losses related to an Uber accident, such as:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Property damage
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Nursing care
Non-economic damages make up for the intangible and difficult-to-value life changes that can happen when you’re in an Uber accident, such as:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Reduced quality of life
- Loss of consortium
- Physical scarring
Our top-rated personal injury attorneys in Chicago will fight to recover a financial award that accurately reflects what your Uber accident case is worth. We’ll bring in experts and specialists, relying on their insight and guidance throughout the valuation process.
What Causes Most Chicago Uber Accidents?
Uber accidents are largely avoidable. They tend to happen when someone – often an Uber driver – is careless or negligent.
Some of the leading contributing factors include:
- Distracted driving – Uber drivers tend to get distracted while looking at their phones, conversing with passengers, or trying to find passengers on the side of the road
- Drunk driving – some Uber drivers might turn to drugs or alcohol to help them cope with the stress of their jobs
- Fatigued driving – many Uber drivers have other jobs, which means that they might not be well rested before starting a shift driving for the rideshare company
- Stopping illegally – Uber drivers might drop off or pick up passengers in dangerous locations that block or impede traffic
- Speeding – the more rides an Uber driver can complete, the more money they can make, which could be an incentive to speed
Other factors – including vehicle defects, road defects, and inclement weather – could also contribute to or cause Uber car accidents in Chicago.
What’s the Statute of Limitations on Illinois Uber Accident Claims?
Under Illinois state law, most Uber accident victims will have two years from the date of their crash to file a lawsuit for damages.
While there may be limited exceptions, they’re few and far between. If you miss the deadline imposed by the statute of limitations, you’ll also miss out on the opportunity to recover the compensation that you need and deserve. As a result, you’ll be left to bear the burden of your Uber accident injuries on your own.
Helping You Fight For Compensation for All of Your Uber Accident Injuries
Whether you were a pedestrian, an occupant of another motor vehicle, or a passenger in the back of the Uber, injuries sustained in a rideshare accident can be life-changing.
At Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers, our Uber accident attorneys are here to help you work to recover compensation for all of the trauma you’ve suffered in the crash, including:
- Broken bones and fractures
- Lacerations and cuts
- Facial injury
- Eye injury
- Dental injury
- Nerve damage
- Soft tissue injury
- Traumatic brain injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Back injury
- Neck injury
- Wrongful death of a family member
It’s important to seek medical treatment at the closest hospital to you in Chicago as soon as you can after your Uber accident. Prompt care can help to keep you physically safe and limit the chances of complications.
Schedule a Free Consultation With an Experienced Chicago Uber Accident Lawyer
You don’t have to figure out how to recover compensation or deal with the challenges of insurance claims by yourself after an Uber accident in Chicago. Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers is here to provide the help, guidance, and support you need during this stressful time.
Our Chicago Uber accident attorneys have 30+ years of experience handling complex car accident cases like yours, and we’re ready to help you fight to make the most of your fight for compensation.
Call our law office in Chicago, Illinois, to schedule a free, no-obligation case assessment with a member of our team today.
Our personal injury law firm in Chicago, IL, also provides:
- Amusement Park Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Assault Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Aviation/Airplane Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Bad Faith Insurance Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Birth Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Boating Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Brain Injury Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Burn injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Bus Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Car Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Catastrophic Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Child Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Construction Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Dog Bite Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Electric Scooter Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Lyft Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Mass Transit Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Medical Malpractice Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Motorcycle accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Negligent Security Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Nursing Home Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Pedestrian Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Premises Liability Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Product Liability Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Sexual Assault Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Slip and Fall Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Taxi Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Train Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Truck Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Workers’ Compensation Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Workplace Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in Chicago, IL