Property owners who fail to provide safe and secure premises could be held liable for damages if someone is injured. However, negligent security cases are complex premises liability claims. You need an experienced Chicago premises liability lawyer to handle your case.
Our Chicago negligent security lawyers have more than 30 years of combined legal experience. We have been recognized by leading legal organizations for our winning record and legal services. Our attorneys are included on The National Trial Lawyers lists of the Top 40 Under 40 attorneys and the Top 100 lawyers.
At Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers, we’ve recovered tens of millions of dollars in compensation for our clients since opening our personal injury firm in 2011. We diligently fight to achieve the best possible settlement for our clients.
How Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help You With a Negligent Security Claim in the Windy City
Property owners who fail to take steps to prevent violent acts or criminal conduct on their premises could be liable for damages. Negligent security could result in physical attacks, shootings, robberies, assaults, rapes, stabbings, abductions, and murders.
At Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers, we understand that you need a quick resolution to your personal injury claim. However, we do not rush your case just to receive a settlement. Our primary concern is your best interests, which includes being compensated fully for all damages caused by an attack.
When you hire our award-winning litigators, you can trust that we will:
- Investigate what happened to you to determine how and why you were injured
- Monitor investigations by law enforcement agencies
- Hire investigators and other experts to assist with your case as needed
- Document your economic and non-economic damages to determine how much your case is worth
- File insurance claims and handle all matters with the insurance company
- Aggressively pursue a settlement for the full amount of your damages
- File a lawsuit and have a skilled trial lawyer argue the case before a jury, if necessary
Our top-rated Chicago personal injury lawyers aim to seek full justice for our clients. We do not stop pursuing your case until we exhaust every cause of action and claim for compensation. Our legal team handles the legal battle while you focus on healing.
Call now for a free case evaluation from an experienced negligent security lawyer in Chicago, IL.
What Is Premises Liability Law?
Premises liability refers to the property owner’s responsibility to maintain a safe environment for visitors. A property owner could be liable for injuries and damages someone incurs while on their property.
Proving a negligent security claim in Illinois requires the injured party to establish by a preponderance of the evidence:
- The property owner owed the injured party a legal duty of care;
- The criminal acts were reasonably foreseeable, and there was an unreasonable risk of harm;
- There was negligent or insufficient security on the premises;
- The injury or attack would not have occurred had the premises had adequate security; and,
- The victim sustained injuries and damages because of the criminal acts.
People visiting the property also have a duty of care. If they are partially to blame for their injury, it could impact how much they receive for damages.
What Types of Damages Could I Receive for a Negligent Security Claim in Chicago, IL?
Examples of the types of damages available for a negligent security premises liability claim include:
- Emotional distress and mental anguish
- Medical bills and expenses
- Diminished quality of life
- Rehabilitative therapy
- Physical pain and suffering
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Disfigurement and scarring
- Lost wages and benefits
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- A decrease in future earning capacity
- Impairments and disabilities
How much your case is worth depends on many factors. Generally, the value of a claim increases as the severity of the person’s injuries increases. The strength of the evidence proving liability and the availability of insurance or other sources of compensation also impact how much money you could receive for your claim.
Examples of Negligent Security in a Chicago Premises Liability Case
Not all property owners are not required to have a team of security officers, scanners, and other high-tech security equipment on their property. A property owner has a duty to take reasonable security measures similar to what a reasonable property owner would d, given the same circumstances. An owner’s obligation regarding security varies depending on the specific facts involved in the situation.
Examples of negligent security can include:
- Poor lighting, including inadequate lighting and broken light fixtures
- Lack of security guards or inexperienced security guards
- Failure to verify doors entering a building are locked and secured
- Not correctly assessing the threats posed by employees or visitors
- Broken locks, windows, and doors
- Leaving gates or loading docks open
- Inadequate security cameras
- Malfunctioning or missing alarm systems
- Sharing private access codes and keys
Property owners who fail to take reasonable security measures could encourage criminal activity on their property. Negligent security measures significantly increase the risk of harm for people entering the property, especially in specific locations or areas in Chicago.
Where Do Injuries Occur Because of Negligent Security in Chicago?
An injury can occur on any property. However, negligent security is a serious problem in some locations. Examples of places that could have a higher risk of criminal activity include, but are not limited to:
- Retail stores and shopping malls
- Gas stations
- Schools and colleges
- Condos and apartment buildings
- Resorts and hotels
- Parking lots and garages
- Amusement parks
- Bars and nightclubs
- Certain workplaces
- Banks and ATMs
- Movie theaters
- Sports and gym facilities
- Chicago Transit Authority locations
If you were attacked on another party’s property, call 911 to report the attack to the police. You should file a police report for your records and to assist with a negligent security claim. Notify the property owner or manager as soon as possible.
It is also crucial that you seek medical treatment for your injuries. Prompt medical care can help you prove that your injuries were caused by an attack and not something you did.
As soon as possible, call Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers to discuss your case with one of our negligent security lawyers. We’ll help you take the next steps to protect your right to a fair settlement or jury verdict.
Common Injuries Caused by Negligent Security in Chicago
Attacks can cause severe injuries and wrongful death. Common injuries caused by negligent security include:
- Broken bones and fractures
- Internal organ damage
- Traumatic brain injury
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Spinal cord injury
- Loss of limbs and amputations
- Soft tissue injuries
- Neck and back injuries
- Gunshot wounds
Some injuries sustained because of an attack or criminal act can result in a wrongful death. If your loved one dies while on someone else’s property, talk with one of our Chicago premises liability attorneys about a wrongful death action.
Regardless of the severity of your injury, a negligent property owner is liable for damages. You deserve fair compensation.
Therefore, if an insurance company or property owner makes a settlement offer, let our attorneys review the offer before you sign any documents or accept the money. Your damages could be worth much more than they offer to settle your claim.
How Much Does It Cost To Hire a Chicago Negligent Security Lawyer?
Are you delaying contacting a lawyer because you think you cannot afford to hire a personal injury attorney? If so, please do not wait any longer.
At Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers, our lawyers accept personal injury cases on a contingency fee basis. With a contingent fee, you do not pay any attorney’s fees when you hire our law firm. Instead, our attorney’s fees are based on a percentage of what we recover in your case.
We only receive payment for our legal services after we recover money for your case. You do not need to worry about paying a retainer fee to obtain the legal representation you need after an injury.
What Is the Statute of Limitations for Filing a Negligent Security Claim in Chicago, IL?
The Illinois statute of limitations sets deadlines for filing lawsuits. If you do not file your lawsuit before the deadline, it could be dismissed by the court.
Negligent security claims fall under premises liability. The statute of limitations for more premises liability claims is two years from the injury date.
We recommend obtaining legal advice as soon as possible after an injury. Some exceptions alter the deadline to file a lawsuit. You don’t want to miss the deadline and lose your right to hold a negligent property owner liable for your damages.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Chicago Negligent Security Lawyers
You deserve fair compensation for damages from the party responsible for your injury. Our lawyers at Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers will aggressively pursue all sources of compensation for your claim. Call now for a free case review with an experienced Chicago negligent security attorney.
Our personal injury law firm in Chicago, IL, also provides:
- Amusement Park Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Assault Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Aviation/Airplane Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Bad Faith Insurance Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Birth Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Boating Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Brain Injury Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Burn injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Bus Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Car Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Catastrophic Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Child Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Construction Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Dog Bite Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Electric Scooter Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Lyft Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Mass Transit Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Medical Malpractice Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Motorcycle accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Nursing Home Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Pedestrian Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Premises Liability Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Product Liability Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Sexual Assault Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Slip and Fall Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Taxi Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Train Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Truck Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Uber Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Workers’ Compensation Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Workplace Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in Chicago, IL