If you or a loved one were injured while visiting a business or someone else’s property in Chicago, IL, you may be entitled to compensation. Illinois premises liability laws are designed to protect accident victims. An experienced Chicago premises liability lawyer at Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers can help you fight to recover compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and more.
Collectively, our lawyers have over 30 years of experience protecting the rights of accident victims. Since we founded our practice, we’ve helped injured clients recover tens of millions of dollars in compensation.
How Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help With My Premises Liability Claim in Chicago
When you’ve suffered injuries due to dangerous property conditions, it can be difficult to know where to turn for help. Unlike car accident cases, you might not know whether you have a valid personal injury claim if you were injured on someone else’s property.
Our experienced Chicago personal injury attorneys can help. At Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers, we’ve been handling complex personal injury cases for years. In that time, we’ve been recognized for our success by Super Lawyers and The National Trial Lawyers.
When you hire our lawyers, you’ll gain an advocate to:
- Provide legal guidance at all stages of the process
- Investigate and identify the responsible parties
- Assess your case value
- Defend you if you’re blamed for your injuries
- Hire experts when they can strengthen your case
- Negotiate with the insurance companies while you recover
It’s never too early to seek out legal advice. Contact our Chicago personal injury lawyers to learn more about our team today.
What Is Premises Liability?
Premises liability laws allow people to hold negligent property owners liable if they’re hurt due to a dangerous property condition.
There are many different ways you can be injured due to unsafe property conditions. Because you’re only visiting the property, you shouldn’t be expected to know about all dangers on the premises. Instead, property owners are responsible for keeping their premises reasonably safe for invited visitors, guests, and customers.
Premises liability cases are complex. You aren’t automatically entitled to compensation if you were injured on someone else’s property.
What Is My Chicago Premises Liability Case Worth?
Your case value will depend on the facts and circumstances of your personal injury case.
Some issues that can impact the value of your case include:
- The cost of your medical treatment
- Your prognosis and anticipated need for future care and rehabilitation
- Your lost wages during recovery
- How the injury will impact your future work prospects
- The strength of your negligence case
- Whether you share any blame for the accident
To learn more about your case value, contact our law firm in Chicago. We can provide more detailed information in a free case review.
What Types of Damages Are Available to Victims in a Premises Liability Lawsuit?
Damages are classified according to whether they represent economic or non-economic damages under Illinois personal injury laws.
In a successful premises liability case, you may seek compensation for:
- Past and future medical expenses, including emergency room costs
- Lost wages
- Reduced earning potential
- Physical therapy
- Nursing care
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Diminished quality of life
- Anxiety, depression, and PTSD
- Loss of consortium
- Damages for wrongful death in fatal accident cases
Our lawyers will seek damages to cover all of the losses you have suffered–both personal and financial. To learn more about how we can help, contact our team for a free initial consultation.
Can I Recover Damages If I’m Being Blamed for My Injuries in Illinois?
Negligent property owners often blame visitors for causing their own injuries. Even if they can prove you were partly liable, you don’t always lose your right to compensation.
Illinois follows a modified comparative negligence law with a 51% bar to recovery. That means you can recover partial compensation if you were less than 51% “at fault” for your injuries. Once your percentage of blame reaches 51%, you’ll be barred from recovering any compensation at all.
Our Chicago Premises Liability Attorneys Will Fight To Recover Compensation for All of Your Injuries
At Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers, we often represent injured clients who have suffered:
- Broken bones
- Back injuries
- Broken hips and other joint damage
- Assault injuries, including gunshot wounds and puncture wounds
- Soft tissue damage
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Head and neck injuries
- Internal organ damage
- Brain damage
- Catastrophic injuries
- Wrongful death of a loved one
You deserve time to focus on your recovery. While you take care of your health, our lawyers will focus on winning the fair compensation you deserve.
We Handle All Types of Premises Liability Cases in Chicago, Illinois
When most people think of premises liability claims, they imagine cases involving slips, trips, and falls. While slip and falls are the most common type of premises liability case, they’re by no means the only way you can get injured on someone else’s property.
Our lawyers in Chicago handle all types of premises liability cases, including those involving:
- Slip and fall accidents
- Assaults and attacks due to negligent security
- Dog bites and animal attacks
- Accidents on sidewalks
- Accidents in parking lots or parking garages
- Elevator injuries
- Pedestrian accidents
- Daycare injuries
- Bed bugs
- Amusement park injuries
- Toxic mold illness
- Food poisonings
- Swimming pool accidents
- Grocery store accidents
- Shopping mall accidents
- Exposure to toxic chemicals
Most injuries occur because the property owner was careless about property maintenance. If you’re wondering whether you have a valid premises liability claim, contact our personal injury law firm in Chicago to learn more about this area of law today. We’ll evaluate your case for free, so there’s no risk in reaching out for legal advice.
How Do I Prove My Premises Liability Case?
Premises liability is a subset of personal injury laws. While there are some complexities, most premises liability cases are based on negligence.
- Someone owed you a legal duty of care
- They breached the duty of care
- The breach caused an accident
- You suffered damages, or injuries, because of the accident
The first element of “negligence” becomes complicated in premises liability cases. The scope of the property owner’s duty of care depends on why you were visiting the property.
There are three classifications of visitors:
- Invitees, who have an open invitation to visit a public space, whether they’re shopping in a grocery store, dining in a restaurant, or walking through a public park
- Licensees, who are invited onto the property for a limited purpose, such as attending a birthday party at a friend’s home
- Trespassers, who have no legal right to be on the property and enter without permission
Most people who are injured on someone else’s property are classified as invitees. Businesses owe a heightened duty of care to invitees.
- Conduct regular property inspections to identify hazards
- Fix any unsafe conditions in a reasonable amount of time
- Provide adequate warning about dangerous property conditions that cannot be fixed immediately
To prove your case, you’ll have to show that the property owner either knew or reasonably should have known, about the dangerous condition and failed to fix it or provide adequate warning.
Property owners generally don’t have a duty to protect trespassers from harm. However, a limited exception exists for young children. Under the “attractive nuisance doctrine,” if there’s something on the property that is dangerous and likely to attract young children, the owner must take reasonable precautions to keep the child safe.
What Types of Evidence Can Be Used to Prove My Case?
Many different types of evidence can be used to win your case.
Our Chicago premises liability attorneys will search for all available evidence, including:
- Video surveillance footage
- Testimony from employees and other eyewitnesses
- Property inspection and maintenance records
- Reports of past safety violations
- Photos of the place you were injured
- Medical records
- Opinions from experts and specialists
This evidence isn’t always easy to find. The property owner may fix the dangerous condition immediately after you’re injured. It’s important to have an experienced accident lawyer in your corner who knows how to locate the strong evidence you need.
What Is the Statute of Limitations for Filing a Premises Liability Lawsuit in Illinois?
The statute of limitations in most personal injury cases is two years in the State of Illinois. If you don’t file your personal injury lawsuit within two years of the accident, your case will be dismissed, and you’ll lose your right to sue for damages. However, you could have less time if a government agency is a defendant in your case.
Our lawyers can make sure you don’t miss this important deadline. Just give us a call for a free initial consultation today.
Contact a Chicago Premises Liability Lawyer for a Free Consultation
Our lawyers will work tirelessly to recover the fair compensation you deserve. To learn more about how a Chicago premises liability lawyer can help you maximize your settlement or verdict, call Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers for a free consultation today.
Our personal injury law firm in Chicago, IL, also provides:
- Amusement Park Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Assault Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Aviation/Airplane Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Bad Faith Insurance Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Birth Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Boating Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Brain Injury Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Burn injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Bus Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Car Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Catastrophic Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Child Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Construction Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Dog Bite Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Electric Scooter Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Lyft Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Mass Transit Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Medical Malpractice Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Motorcycle accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Negligent Security Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Nursing Home Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Pedestrian Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Product Liability Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Sexual Assault Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Slip and Fall Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Taxi Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Train Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Truck Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Uber Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Workers’ Compensation Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Workplace Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in Chicago, IL