When your child is injured, you feel helpless. However, you are not helpless. Illinois personal injury laws give you a legal cause of action to hold the person who caused your child’s injury accountable for their actions.
The Chicago child injury lawyers at the Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers law firm have extensive experience representing parents and children in child injury claims. Our legal team will work diligently to protect your child’s right to fair compensation for their injuries and damages. We want to help your family seek justice from the party who caused your child to suffer harm.
How Our Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help if Your Child Has Been Injured
Even the most cautious child can be injured. In some cases, the child’s injury was not their fault. Another party’s negligence or intentional acts may have caused the child to be injured.
When another party causes a child harm, that party can be held liable for the child’s pain and suffering. The party can also be made to reimburse the family for medical costs and other damages.
At Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers, our Illinois personal injury lawyers aggressively pursue claims for child injuries. We’ll diligently work to hold the at-fault party responsible for the injuries your child has suffered. We have decades of combined experience handling personal injury claims to help innocent victims get the compensation they deserve.
When you hire our top-rated Chicago personal injury attorneys, we will:
- Ensure you understand the laws pertaining to your child’s personal injury case and advise you of your legal options for filing claims
- Investigate the cause of your child’s injury to identify all responsible parties
- Collect evidence building a case for fault and liability
- Work with the leading expert witnesses in their fields to strengthen the evidence in your child’s case, as needed
- Prepare and file all necessary documents for insurance claims and personal injury claims
- Negotiate a fair settlement based on the value of your child’s damages
- File a personal injury lawsuit to litigate the case if the at-fault party refuses to pay a fair settlement amount
If your child has been injured, you need to hire a skilled attorney who will fiercely fight to protect your child’s rights and best interests. We are those attorneys.
Call us now for a free case evaluation with an experienced child injury lawyer in Chicago, IL. Our legal team will provide personalized legal services, guidance, and support throughout your case.
Causes of Child Injuries in Chicago: Childhood Injuries Are Very Common
Roughly 30 million children are treated in emergency rooms in the United States each year. The leading cause of death for children is unintentional injuries. Motor vehicle accidents are a leading cause of child injury and death.
Children can be injured in numerous ways. They are small, uncoordinated, and curious, which can contribute to their risk of sustaining injuries. However, children are also injured in accidents and situations that are not their fault.
Common causes of child injuries in Chicago include:
- Car accidents
- Dog bites and animal attacks
- Playground accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Swimming pool accidents and drowning
- Amusement park accidents
- School and daycare accidents
- Child abuse and violence
- Choking or suffocation
- Exposure to dangerous substances
- Defective products and toys
- Birth injuries
- Slip and fall accidents
- Medical malpractice
- School bus accidents
Children can suffer severe and debilitating injuries because of the carelessness and negligence of others. At Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers, we’ll help you hold those people accountable for the pain and suffering they caused your child.
Injuries Children Sustain Because of Accidents and Other Incidents
The type and severity of your child’s injury depend on numerous factors, including the circumstances that caused the injury.
Common child injuries include:
- Broken bones and fractures
- Knee injuries
- Head trauma, including concussions and traumatic brain injury
- Internal organ damage
- Soft tissue injuries, including strains and sprains
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Amputations and loss of limbs
- Chest injuries
- Back injuries
- Crushing injuries
It is crucial that you seek immediate medical treatment for your child. Detailed medical records help prove that the other party’s conduct caused your child’s injuries. That is an essential legal element of a personal injury claim for a child injury.
Delays in medical care could further injure your child. It could also jeopardize your child’s chance of receiving compensation in an injury claim.
Our Chicago child injury lawyers handle all types of child injuries. Call us for a free case review today.
What Damages Can My Child Recover in a Chicago Personal Injury Claim?
As with an adult personal injury claim, a child and their family are entitled to recover compensation for economic and non-economic damages.
Economic damages represent the financial losses your family incurred because of the child’s injury.
Those damages include:
- Past and future medical costs
- Your lost wages if you miss time from work to care for your child
- Future medical bills for ongoing therapy, rehabilitation, and medical treatment
- A decrease in your child’s future earning capacity
- Out-of-pocket expenses, including transportation costs, medications, and medical devices
- The cost of in-home nursing care
- Expenses related to special education your child needs now or in the future
Examples of non-economic damages in a child injury case include:
- Emotional distress
- Mental anguish and trauma
- Physical pain
- Disfigurement and scarring
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Impairments and disabilities
- A decrease in quality of life
If you prove that the at-fault party’s conduct was willful, wanton, fraudulent, or intentional, your child might also receive punitive damages at trial. However, punitive damages are only awarded in a small number of personal injury cases.
How Much Is My Child’s Personal Injury Case Worth in Illinois?
Our Chicago child injury attorneys will carefully analyze all factors that could impact the value of a child’s personal injury case.
Some factors that could affect how much compensation you and your child receive include:
- The severity and type of injury your child sustained
- The type of medical treatments your child experienced
- Your child’s age
- The emotional toll of the injury
- Whether your child has permanent impairments or disabilities because of the injury
- The out-of-pocket expenses and monetary losses your family has incurred
- The extent of the impact of the injury on your child’s daily activities and quality of life
- Your child’s prognosis for recovery
Children can experience cognitive, physical, and emotional impairments because of an injury. They could also experience developmental delays. Your child might need to see a medical specialist and other experts to ensure we understand the full extent of the damages caused by your child’s injury because that impacts the case’s value.
Parties Who Could Be Liable for Your Child’s Injuries and Damages
Anyone who contributed to the cause of the accident or incident that injured your child could be liable for damages. It depends on the circumstances that led to your child’s injury.
Potential parties in a child injury lawsuit include, but are not limited to:
- Negligent drivers
- Daycares and schools
- Property owners (premises liability claims)
- Dog owners
- Healthcare professionals (medical malpractice)
- Manufacturers, distributors, and sellers (product liability claims)
- Religious institutions
- Sports programs
- Government entities
Our legal team at the Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers law firm will conduct a thorough investigation to uncover each party who contributed to the cause of your child’s injury. We’ll aggressively pursue each party for their share of the damages they caused.
Proving Negligence in a Chicago Child Injury Case
Most child injury cases are based on negligence claims.
Therefore, you must prove the following:
- The other party owed your child a legal duty of care
- The other party breached the duty of care by failing to act reasonably
- The breach of duty was the direct and proximate cause of your child’s injury
- Your child sustained damages
There is an exception to the legal duty of care if a child trespasses on property. Generally, a property owner does not owe a legal duty of care to protect trespassers from injuries.
However, property owners may be liable if they do not take reasonable care to prevent foreseeable harm to children who might come onto their property because of an enticing situation. Enticement could include a swimming pool, old appliances, or climbing structures.
How Long Does a Child Have to File a Personal Injury Lawsuit in Chicago, IL?
The Illinois statute of limitations for most personal injury cases is two years from the date of injury. However, there is an exception for children.
The two-year statute of limitations does not begin until the child’s 18th birthday. A child has until their 20th birthday to file a personal injury lawsuit if their parents or legal guardians fail to do so. However, assuming the rules apply in your case without talking with a lawyer is unwise.
You want to seek legal counsel as soon as possible after your child’s injuries. The longer you wait to file a claim, the more likely that crucial evidence proving the other party caused your child’s injuries could be lost.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Chicago Child Injury Lawyers
Don’t let the party who caused your child harm avoid liability for their actions. Call our law office today to schedule a time for a free case review with a Chicago child injury attorney. We are here to provide compassionate, honest legal advice when you need a trusted legal advocate for your child.
Our personal injury law firm in Chicago, IL, also provides:
- Amusement Park Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Assault Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Aviation/Airplane Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Bad Faith Insurance Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Birth Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Boating Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Brain Injury Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Burn injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Bus Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Car Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Catastrophic Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Construction Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Dog Bite Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Electric Scooter Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Lyft Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Mass Transit Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Medical Malpractice Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Motorcycle accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Negligent Security Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Nursing Home Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Pedestrian Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Premises Liability Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Product Liability Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Sexual Assault Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Slip and Fall Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Taxi Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Train Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Truck Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Uber Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Workers’ Compensation Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Workplace Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in Chicago, IL