Were you injured in an e-scooter accident in Chicago, Illinois? Did it result from another party’s careless actions? If so, you may be eligible to file a personal injury claim and pursue compensation for your medical bills, loss of earnings, and suffering.
Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers can help you secure the maximum financial recovery and protect your rights. Our Chicago electric scooter accident lawyers have three decades of combined experience handling all types of personal injury matters, and we’ve acquired tens of millions of dollars for our clients.
Contact our law firm online or call us at (312) 929-2884 to schedule a free consultation. During your appointment, you and one of our personal injury lawyers in Chicago will discuss your e-scooter accident and potential avenues for compensation.
How Our Experienced Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help After an Electric Scooter Accident in Chicago, IL
Whether you were a pedestrian hit by an electric scooter, were struck by a car while riding your scooter, or something entirely different, you deserve to hold the at-fault party financially responsible. After all, you wouldn’t have sustained injuries if their negligence hadn’t caused your accident.
Let our Chicago personal injury lawyers at Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers handle the legal fight while you focus on recuperating from your injuries. We’re prepared to provide high-quality legal representation and obtain the outcome you need to move forward.
If you hire our Chicago electric scooter accident attorneys, we’ll:
- Explain your options and maintain open communication throughout your case
- Investigate the e-scooter accident to determine how it happened and who is liable
- Gather evidence and consult leading experts as necessary
- Calculate the value of your claim, including emotional trauma and future damages
- Negotiate with opposing parties and their insurance companies for a fair settlement
- Take your case to trial in Cook County if we cannot reach an agreement
Get a winning legal team in your corner today by contacting our electric scooter accident lawyers in Chicago, IL. We offer a free initial consultation and take cases on a contingency fee basis – meaning you can get legal advice and representation without paying anything upfront.
How Common Are E-Scooter Accidents in Chicago?
According to a recent Consumer Product Safety Commission report, as the popularity of e-scooters, e-bikes, and other micromobility devices increases, nationwide injuries and deaths have also increased. Between 2017 and 2021, injuries rose by 127%. E-scooters represented the highest injury increase, and 68 people were killed in scooter accidents.
In Chicago, an analysis of Bird, Lime, and Spin data indicated that around 170 people visited the ER due to e-scooter incidents in 2020. 93% were scooter riders, and 5% were pedestrians injured by scooters.
What Is My Chicago Electric Scooter Accident Case Worth?
The value of your Chicago personal injury claim depends on the various circumstances of your e-scooter accident.
When our Chicago e-scooter accident attorneys are determining what your case is worth, we’ll ask the following questions:
- What is the severity of your injuries, and how do they impact your quality of life?
- What medical expenses and other costs have you incurred?
- Will you require ongoing medical treatment to address your injuries?
- Did you miss time from work? Do your injuries hinder your ability to work in the same capacity as before the accident?
- What are the physical and psychological effects of the accident and injuries?
- Did you contribute to the e-scooter accident or your injuries in any way?
- Have you sustained any permanent impairment or disability?
Before negotiating with an insurance adjuster, you should know the value of your claim. They may offer a quick settlement, which will likely be less than what your accident case is worth. If you sign an agreement, you’ll release them from further liability.
Our Chicago car accident lawyers will help you put an accurate dollar figure on your damages.
What Types of Damages Can I Receive in an Electric Scooter Accident Claim?
Chicago e-scooter accident victims can pursue compensation for all losses attributed to the incident, including economic and non-economic damages.
Economic damages are any financial expenses you incurred, such as:
- Medical costs for healthcare services, including surgery, hospital stays, and follow-up care
- Future medical treatment and rehabilitation
- Lost wages
- Reduced earning capacity
- Property damage
- Out-of-pocket expenses, including household services, travel, and childcare
Non-economic damages represent the physical and emotional effects of the accident on your life, including:
- Mental anguish
- Scarring or disfigurement
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of companionship
Our personal injury attorneys in Chicago will help you identify and seek compensation for all losses you’ve sustained due to the electric scooter accident.
Can I Recover Compensation If I’m Partially At Fault for an E-Scooter Accident in Illinois?
Under Illinois law, all parties who contribute to an accident are assigned a portion of responsibility – including the plaintiff in a personal injury case.
Under the state’s modified comparative fault law, you’re barred from recovering compensation if your share of blame exceeds 50%. If you were 50% or less responsible for the scooter accident, your award will be reduced proportionately.
For example, say a jury finds that you were 30% at fault for the accident. You’d only be entitled to 70% of your court award – meaning if your damages totaled $50,000, you could take home $35,000. If the jury decided you were 51% negligent, you couldn’t take home any compensation.
Common Injuries Sustained in Electric Scooter Accidents
E-scooter accident victims can sustain various injuries ranging from minor scrapes to life-changing catastrophic injuries.
If a scooter operator falls while riding, they may sustain cuts and broken bones. However, if they are involved in a collision with a motor vehicle, it can result in devastating consequences.
Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers has helped people who have sustained all types of injuries in car accidents and other personal injury incidents, including:
- Broken bones and fractures
- Neck injuries
- Soft tissue injuries, including whiplash, strains, and sprains
- Back injuries
- Hand and wrist injuries
- Dental injuries
- Concussions and other traumatic brain injuries
- Paralysis and other spinal cord damage
- Nerve damage
- Internal organ injuries
- Road rash and other abrasions and burns
In the most severe electric scooter crashes, the victim may lose their life. If you lost a loved one due to an e-scooter accident, our Chicago personal injury attorneys will help you file a wrongful death claim.
What Causes Most Electric Scooter Accidents in Chicago, Illinois?
Riding an e-scooter is often a faster, more cost-efficient way to travel throughout Chicago. However, that doesn’t mean the city has dedicated infrastructure in all areas or that other motorists always share the road.
E-scooter crashes can result from many different scenarios, including:
- A scooter runs into a pedestrian or bicyclist
- A pedestrian trips over a scooter on the sidewalk
- A motor vehicle collides with a scooter
- A scooter rider falls due to road defects or lack of infrastructure
- A defective scooter causes an injury
These incidents can happen for various reasons – usually due to negligence – such as:
- Rider or motorist inexperience
- Distracted driving or scooter operation
- Reckless driving or riding
- Failure to yield the right of way
- Failure to leave enough space when passing a scooter
- Dangerous turns
- Ignoring traffic lights or signs
- Driving under the influence
- Loss of control of the scooter
- Defective scooter components, such as lithium-ion batteries that cause fires
- Lack of dedicated lanes and other infrastructure
- Potholes, uneven pavement, and other defects
Electric scooters in Chicago are prohibited from operating on sidewalks and are banned from certain areas, such as the 606 and Chicago Riverwalk. Scooter operators must also obey traffic laws, similar to bicyclists. However, drivers must also share the road with scooters and exercise caution, which often doesn’t happen – leading to accidents.
How Do I Prove My Electric Scooter Accident Case?
Most electric scooter accidents in Chicago result from someone’s negligence. Potentially liable parties include scooter riders, motorists, pedestrians, a government agency, a manufacturer, or the scooter company.
To prove negligence, you (the plaintiff) must demonstrate the following:
- The defendant’s duty of care
- The defendant breached their duty of care
- The defendant’s actions caused the e-scooter accident
- You suffered damages
The evidence that can prove your claim includes:
- Car accident report
- Police report
- Medical records
- Doctor’s statements regarding your prognosis
- Employment records
- Statements from eyewitnesses
- Opinions from expert witnesses
- Maintenance records for scooters
Our Chicago attorneys will gather all evidence needed to prove liability for your e-scooter accident injuries.
How Long Do I Have To File a Lawsuit After an Electric Scooter Accident in Illinois?
The Illinois statute of limitations provides a strict deadline to file a personal injury lawsuit. You’ll generally have two years from the scooter accident date to take legal action.
However, there could be exceptions that provide more or less time to act. Contact our Chicago e-scooter accident lawyers to preserve your right to pursue compensation.
Contact Our Chicago Electric Scooter Accident Lawyers for a Free Case Evaluation
If you were injured in an e-scooter crash in Chicago, IL, Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers is here to help. Contact our Chicago scooter accident lawyers today to schedule a free, no-obligation case assessment. We’ll discuss your options for securing the maximum compensation possible.
Our personal injury law firm in Chicago, IL, also provides:
- Amusement Park Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Assault Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Aviation/Airplane Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Bad Faith Insurance Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Birth Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Boating Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Brain Injury Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Burn injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Bus Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Car Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Catastrophic Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Child Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Construction Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Dog Bite Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Lyft Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Mass Transit Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Medical Malpractice Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Motorcycle accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Negligent Security Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Nursing Home Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Pedestrian Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Premises Liability Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Product Liability Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Sexual Assault Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Slip and Fall Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Taxi Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Train Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Truck Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Uber Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Workers’ Compensation Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Workplace Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in Chicago, IL