The streets of Chicago can be dangerous for pedestrians. If you were injured in a traffic accident while walking around Chicago, IL, Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers is here to help. An experienced Chicago pedestrian accident lawyer can help you fight to recover compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and more. Give us a call at (312) 929 2884 today!
We have a proven track record of successfully helping accident victims recover fair compensation. We’re ready to use over 30 years of combined experience to your advantage.
We’re available to discuss your case today. Just call our law offices in Chicago, Illinois to schedule a free consultation.
How Can Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers Help Me After a Pedestrian Accident in Chicago?
Accidents involving pedestrians can be especially traumatic. That’s because pedestrians are so vulnerable to serious injuries. If you were hurt, you could soon be facing hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical expenses–and you might not be able to work to pay the bills.
An experienced Chicago personal injury lawyer can help you fight for fair compensation. At Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers, we’ve already helped injured clients recover tens of millions of dollars in compensation. We’ve been recognized by Super Lawyers, The National Trial Lawyers “Top 40 Under 40,” and Top 100 Trial Lawyers.
When you retain our team, you can count on us to:
- Handle a full investigation into your accident
- Gather and evaluate all evidence
- Calculate your case value
- Stand up to the insurance company if they try to blame you or bully you
- Retain specialists when needed to strengthen your case
- Negotiate fiercely with the insurance companies for a fair settlement
If you’re ready to learn more, getting help is easy. Contact our law firm for a free consultation with a Chicago personal injury attorney today.
How Often Do Pedestrian Accidents Happen in Chicago?
Pedestrian accidents are unfortunately common in Chicago and across the state of Illinois. In 2020 alone, 3,311 pedestrian accidents were reported to the Illinois Department of Transportation.
These types of accidents can be particularly dangerous, especially for the pedestrian involved. 3,031 of all pedestrian-related traffic accidents resulted in at least one injury. Sadly, 172 pedestrian fatalities were also reported. That means about 97% of all pedestrian accidents in Illinois resulted in at least one injury or death.
How Much is My Chicago Pedestrian Accident Case Worth?
The answer really depends on the severity of your injuries. That said, multiple different factors can influence your case value.
Some of the most relevant factors in assessing the value of a personal injury case include:
- The nature of your injuries and medical treatment
- The cost of medical care and other out-of-pocket expenses
- The trauma of the accident, considering physical pain and mental trauma
- How the injury impacts your work, education, and lifestyle
- Whether the injury will diminish your future quality of life
- The value of your lost wages during recovery
- Whether you have strong proof of negligence
Insurance companies often try to convince accident victims to accept less than their case is really worth. If the insurance company is pressuring you to accept a quick settlement deal, reach out to our lawyers in Chicago today. We know how to calculate the value of your case and force the insurance company to take you seriously.
What Types of Damages Are Available To Chicago Pedestrian Accident Victims?
You deserve to be compensated for the full extent of your losses if you were injured due to someone else’s careless or reckless acts. Under Illinois personal injury laws, crash victims can seek compensation for economic damages and non-economic damages.
Economic damages are meant to cover your financial expenses, such as:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Reduced earning potential
- Physical therapy
- Nursing care or in-home assistance
- Property damage
Non-economic damages represent more subjective and intangible losses, such as:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish and emotional distress
- Diminished quality of life
- Physical disfigurement and scarring
- Anxiety disorders
- Loss of consortium
Punitive damages are rare, but they may be available if the negligent driver’s acts were intentional or egregious. Punitive damages do not compensate for a specific loss but are awarded as punishment for the defendant.
Can I Recover Compensation If I’m Being Blamed for a Pedestrian Accident in Illinois?
Sometimes. Illinois follows a modified comparative negligence law. Accident victims are only barred from recovering compensation if they were at least 51% responsible for causing the accident. If you’re less than 51% liable but do share some fault, your settlement or verdict will be reduced by your percentage of fault.
For example, under Illinois law, if you were 30% responsible and awarded a $100,000 settlement, you can take home $70,000.
Our Team Will Fight for Fair Compensation for All of Your Pedestrian Accident Injuries
Pedestrians have absolutely no protection in an accident. If you’re hit by a car, you may also suffer a second impact when you hit the pavement. It’s no surprise that pedestrians often suffer severe and life-altering injuries when they’re involved in motor vehicle accidents.
At Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers, our legal team often represents clients who have suffered:
- Crushing injuries
- Broken bones
- Nerve injuries
- Traumatic amputations
- Soft tissue damage
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Knee, hip, and shoulder injuries
- Back injuries
- Organ damage
- Road rash
- Degloving injuries
- Pelvic injuries
- Catastrophic injuries
- Wrongful death of a loved one
Do not hesitate to reach out for legal advice if you were involved in a pedestrian accident and hurt through little to no fault of your own. Our Chicago pedestrian accident attorneys will get started working on your case immediately so that you can focus on recovering.
What Are the Leading Causes of Pedestrian Accidents in Chicago, Illinois?
Anyone who has ever been involved in an accident knows that accidents tend to happen quickly. Often, the victims aren’t even sure why the accident happened. If you were rushed to the hospital with injuries, it can be even more difficult to understand the cause of your accident. That, in turn, can make it tough to know who was responsible.
In Illinois, some of the most common causes of pedestrian accidents include:
- Distracted driving
- Failure to yield the right-of-way
- Poor visibility and lighting
- Poorly marked crosswalks
- Lack of dedicated sidewalks and infrastructure
- Aggressive driving
- Passing too close to the shoulder
- Dangerous turns
- Backing up without looking for pedestrians
- Racing through an intersection
- Running a red light or stop sign
- Drunk driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs
- Malfunctioning traffic signals
Pedestrians can also cause accidents. When pedestrians aren’t paying attention, it can be difficult for drivers to stop to prevent a car accident.
How Do I Prove Liability After a Pedestrian Accident in Illinois?
To recover damages after any type of accident, the victim must prove that someone else was responsible for their injuries. Most pedestrian cases are based on negligence. Others may be based on strict liability theories if the accident occurred because of a defective vehicle or safety equipment.
When proving negligence, victims must offer evidence regarding the following four elements:
- The at-fault driver’s legal duty of care
- A breach of duty, whether by an active mistake or omission
- Causation, meaning that the breach directly caused the accident
- The damages you have suffered as a result
Our lawyers at Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers can investigate and help you locate the evidence to back up your insurance claim.
We’ll search for and evaluate any:
- Police and accident reports
- Cell phone records
- Results of toxicology tests or citations issued at the scene
- Video footage of the accident or accident scene
- Photos from the crash scene
- Hard evidence, including vehicle placement, skid marks, etc.
- Medical records
- Opinions from accident reconstruction specialists
Some cases are more complicated than others. You can count on our lawyers to invest our own resources in building your case. We work on a contingency fee basis, so you only have to pay attorneys’ fees if we recover compensation in your case.
To learn more about how our team can fight for the fair compensation you deserve, call for a free case evaluation today.
How Much Time Do I Have To File a Lawsuit After a Pedestrian Accident in Illinois?
It’s important to get started as quickly as possible after you were injured in an accident. Under the statute of limitations in Illinois, most accident victims have only two years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury lawsuit.
The consequences of missing the deadline are serious. You’ll forfeit your right to sue for any damages at all if you wait too long to take legal action.
Our lawyers know things are difficult if you’ve been injured. We’re here to handle the heavy lifting and get the ball rolling so that you don’t lose your right to compensation. Just give us a call to learn more today.
Contact a Chicago Pedestrian Accident Lawyer for a Free Initial Consultation
Do you have questions about your legal rights and options after a pedestrian accident? Our lawyers have the answers you deserve. Contact Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers to schedule a free consultation with an experienced Chicago pedestrian accident lawyer today.
Our personal injury law firm in Chicago, IL, also provides:
- Amusement Park Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Assault Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Aviation/Airplane Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Bad Faith Insurance Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Birth Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Boating Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Brain Injury Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Burn injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Bus Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Car Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Catastrophic Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Child Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Construction Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Dog Bite Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Electric Scooter Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Lyft Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Mass Transit Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Medical Malpractice Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Motorcycle accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Negligent Security Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Nursing Home Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Premises Liability Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Product Liability Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Sexual Assault Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Slip and Fall Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Taxi Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Train Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Truck Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Uber Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Workers’ Compensation Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Workplace Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in Chicago, IL