Are you struggling with debilitating physical injuries and severe emotional distress because you were recently involved in a train accident in Chicago, Illinois? Call Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers. Let our Chicago train accident attorneys help you demand accountability and fight to get the compensation you deserve. Call us at (312) 929-2884 for legal help.
Collectively, our award-winning Illinois trial attorneys have 30+ years of experience and have helped to change the lives of thousands of accident victims and grieving families in Chicago. Our tireless pursuit of financial justice has helped us recover tens of millions for deserving clients like you.
Contact our law office in Chicago, IL to find out how we can help you maximize your train accident settlement. We offer a free consultation, so reach out to get started now.
How Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help After a Train Accident in Chicago, IL
What caused your train accident? Who’s at fault? Who’s liable for your resulting injuries, costs, and suffering? How can you know if a train injury settlement is fair?
You’re bound to face these – and other – important questions as you pursue compensation after a train accident in Chicago. The good news is that you don’t have to find the answers alone. Our experienced Chicago personal injury lawyers are here to help.
By hiring Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers, you put yourself in the position to win your case and get the financial recovery you deserve. We’re top-rated litigators with a proven ability to win tough cases and get top results.
When you trust us to advocate for you, you’ll have the time to focus on recovering while we take care of everything else.
- Be there to answer your most compelling questions at all stages of the claims process
- Carefully review the results of investigations conducted by state and/or federal government agencies
- Coordinate a thorough and independent inquiry into your train accident
- Gather and analyze photographs, maintenance records, operator communication records, damage to rail systems, property damage, medical records, and other critical pieces of evidence
- Consult train industry professionals, medical specialists, rehabilitation professionals, and other experts to obtain a more comprehensive understanding of your accident and resulting trauma
- Defend against any allegations of shared fault or liability
- Aggressively advocate to secure a top-dollar settlement for you during negotiations
- Represent you at trial if the train company or its insurer refuses to cooperate and offer a fair settlement
When you work with Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers, there’s no out-of-pocket cost. In fact, you pay absolutely nothing to hire our Chicago personal injury law firm unless we win your train accident case.
Get in touch with a member of our experienced legal team to discuss the details of your train accident case today. We’re always here to help – 24/7/365.
How Common Are Train Accidents in Illinois?
According to the Federal Railroad Administration, 2,184 highway-grade train accidents were reported nationwide in 2022.
Illinois ranked third in train accidents that year, with 148 reported collisions. Only California and Texas saw more derailments and collisions.
Those 148 train accidents caused at least 44 injuries and 25 deaths.
Chicago and surrounding areas in Cook County see a considerable amount of the state’s railroad traffic. Between 2017 and 2022, 246 train accidents were reported across Cook County.
That’s roughly 41 train accidents in and around Chicago annually.
What Causes Most Chicago Train Accidents and Derailments?
Despite the fact that rail systems are highly regulated, negligence is the leading cause of train accidents and derailments in Chicago, IL.
Some of the most common contributors to Chicago train accidents include:
- Operator inexperience
- Operator inattention
- Operator fatigue
- Operator intoxication
- Unprotected railroad crossings
- Unsafe speeds, especially around curves
- Mechanical failure
- Negligent train maintenance
- Signal malfunction or failure
- Defective tracks
It’s not just train operators and train services that cause or contribute to train accidents. Many times, negligent motorists and reckless pedestrians cause these devastating wrecks. Stalled cars, aggressive drivers, trespassers on the tracks, and suicides all contribute to tragic accidents, injuries, and deaths in Chicago annually.
Who’s Liable for a Train Accident in Chicago?
Under Illinois state law, liability for a train accident or derailment can extend to:
- Negligent train conductor or operator
- Negligent train staff
- Public train services like the Chicago Transit Authority
- Private train services like Amtrak
- Public and private entities responsible for track maintenance and repairs
- Train mechanics
- Train manufacturers
- Negligent motorists, including drivers of passenger vehicles, truck drivers, and motorcyclists
- Trespassers and pedestrians
Our experienced train accident attorneys in Chicago will carefully examine the facts and details of your case. We’ll dig deep and work to uncover exactly why your train accident happened and, in turn, identify who’s at fault.
Once liability is clear, our team will aggressively seek compensation from anyone who had a hand in causing your train accident.
What Types of Damages Can I Get in a Chicago Train Accident Claim?
When you suffer injuries in a Chicago train accident through little-to-no fault of your own, you’ll generally reserve the right to pursue a legal claim for damages.
Compensatory awards can include:
- Economic damages to offset the financial costs and burdens related to your train accident and resulting injuries
- Non-economic damages to compensate for the suffering and traumatic life changes you experience as a train accident victim
- Current medical bills, including hospitalization, medical transport, surgery, medication, and other necessary treatment
- Future medical expenses for treatment and rehabilitation
- Lost wages
- Lost job opportunities
- Property damage
- Funeral and burial expenses if a train accident is fatal
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical disfigurement
- Loss of consortium
The train company and its insurance company will work hard to dictate the terms of your claim. Our experienced train accident attorneys in Chicago won’t let them.
We’ll consult trusted experts and specialists, working to build a persuasive claim that forces the defendant to take full responsibility for your injuries. We won’t rest until we’ve done everything in our power to get you a settlement or jury award that really represents what your case is worth.
Common Train Accident Injuries
Whether you’re in a motor vehicle, a passenger or employee on the train, or a bystander, you can sustain severe and catastrophic injuries in a train accident.
Some of the most commonly reported train accident injuries include:
- Cuts and lacerations
- Soft tissue injury, including sprains and strains
- Broken bones
- Eye injury
- Vision and hearing loss
- Brain injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Back injury
- Crushing injury
- Internal organ damage
- Wrongful death
Make sure to seek emergency medical treatment immediately at a local hospital in Chicago after your train accident. Then, don’t hesitate to reach out to our train accident attorneys to discuss your legal rights and options. We can help you put a plan into action to get the compensation you deserve.
Is There a Deadline to File a Train Accident Lawsuit in Illinois?
Yes, you must initiate a legal claim for damages within two years of your Chicago train accident.
You’ll also have two years to pursue compensation through a wrongful death lawsuit if a train accident results in the death of a close family member.
It’s critical that you file a lawsuit before the statute of limitations expires. Once that happens, you will forfeit the opportunity to assert your rights and recover the financial award you deserve.
Can Shared Fault Impact My Train Accident Injury Claim?
Yes. Illinois has a modified comparative fault system in place. You are prohibited from recovering damages from a third party if you’re assigned 51 percent (or more) blame for your train accident.
When liability is equal to or less than half, damages are reduced proportionately.
As a result, sharing 10 percent of the blame for a Chicago train accident would lead to a reduction in damages by 10 percent.
Our personal injury attorneys in Chicago will work hard to limit victim-blaming tactics that could jeopardize your financial recovery. We’ll fight back and protect you at every stage of the claims process.
Schedule a Free Consultation With an Experienced Chicago Train Accident Lawyer
You don’t have to struggle with the costs and consequences of your Chicago train accident on your own. Someone else’s careless or negligent actions caused you to get hurt, and they have to be held accountable. Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers can help you make that a reality and achieve top results.
Since 2011, we’ve been leading advocates for Chicago train accident victims and families. We’re not afraid to take on tough cases, put in the hard work and long hours, and fight to get you the financial justice you deserve.
Benefit from a team with 30+ years of combined experience that’s won millions in life-changing awards.
Call our law office in Chicago, IL to get started. We provide a free, no-obligation case evaluation, which gives you the opportunity to learn about the benefits of working with our law firm. Reach out to schedule a time for yours today.
Our personal injury law firm in Chicago, IL, also provides:
- Amusement Park Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Assault Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Aviation/Airplane Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Bad Faith Insurance Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Birth Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Boating Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Brain Injury Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Burn injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Bus Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Car Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Catastrophic Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Child Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Construction Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Dog Bite Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Electric Scooter Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Lyft Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Mass Transit Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Medical Malpractice Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Motorcycle accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Negligent Security Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Nursing Home Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Pedestrian Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Premises Liability Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Product Liability Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Sexual Assault Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Slip and Fall Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Taxi Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Truck Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Uber Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Workers’ Compensation Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Workplace Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in Chicago, IL