Public transportation options are widespread in Chicago, Illinois. In fact, the Windy City has the second-largest mass transit system in the United States. With that kind of volume, accidents and other kinds of incidents giving rise to personal injuries are bound to happen.
If you were recently injured while using mass transit in Chicago, you deserve to be compensated by the at-fault party. Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers can help you receive money damages for your pain and suffering, lost wages, medical bills, and more.
We offer a free consultation where we can review your case and provide helpful legal advice and information. Reach out to our Chicago mass transit accident lawyers today to get started at (312) 929-2884.
How Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help You Recover Compensation After a Public Transportation Accident
Mass transit is a vital part of Chicago’s ability to function. Whether it’s a Metra Rail train, Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) vehicle, or even a Chicago Water Taxi, a significant number of people utilize public transportation on a daily basis to get to where they need to be. The last thing you expect to happen is to sustain a serious injury while on your regular commute.
If you hire Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers, we can handle your legal claim from start to finish while you focus on your medical recovery. Our Chicago personal injury lawyers have over 30 years of combined experience and have collected tens of millions of dollars on behalf of our deserving clients. We can help with your public transportation accident case in Chicago, IL, by:
- Documenting all of your damages
- Investigating your accident with expert assistance as needed
- Identifying the liable party or parties
- Handling all of the communications, paperwork, and procedures related to your claim
- Negotiating with the at-fault party to reach a settlement agreement
- Filing a lawsuit against the other party if they refuse to settle
Contact us today if you’re ready to begin forming an attorney-client relationship – or if you just want to learn more. Your initial consultation is free of charge, and there are no obligations.
How Common Are Public Transit Accidents in Illinois?
The Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) publishes annual Crash Facts documents that contain detailed statistics on various types of accidents across the state. The most recent data are from 2021 and include:
- There were 90 train accidents in Illinois in 2021, resulting in 31 injuries and 9 fatalities
- School buses were involved in 714 crashes across the state in 2021, causing 100 injuries and 2 fatalities
- There were 2,474 accidents involving other kinds of buses in Illinois in 2021, which caused 476 injuries and 6 fatalities
It is likely that many of these accidents occur in or near the City of Chicago, based on its population relative to the rest of the state.
Proving Liability After a Mass Transit Accident in Chicago, Illinois
In most public transport accident cases, proving liability first means establishing that the at-fault party was negligent. Negligence is a legal term that has a similar meaning to the word “carelessness.” Mass transit operators are considered “common carriers,” which means they are held to a higher standard of care than the average vehicle driver. This can be to your benefit during the legal process.
Under Illinois law, you can submit a negligence claim against various types of parties, such as:
- Government entities like the CTA
- Individual persons
- Private businesses
As the personal injury victim, you’ll have the burden of proof to assert your negligence claim “by a preponderance of the evidence.” In other words, you must show that it is more likely than not that your contentions are true.
Types of evidence you can submit include, but are not limited to:
- Medical records
- Expert analysis and testimony
- Eyewitness testimony
- Photos and videos
Public transportation accident cases can be complex, especially if the situation involves suing a government entity. With an experienced lawyer at Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers in your corner, however, you’ll be well-equipped to present an effective claim.
What Damages Can I Recover After a Mass Transit Accident in Chicago?
Your financial losses comprise your economic damages claim. Examples include:
- Lost wages
- Rehabilitation and therapy costs
- Medical bills
- Decreased earning capacity
- Out-of-pocket expenses
The other types of losses you may have experienced represent your non-economic damages claim. A few types of non-economic damages are:
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Emotional distress
- Mental conditions such as PTSD and anxiety
- Loss of quality of life
Punitive damages could be available in rare cases. However, the at-fault party must have acted with the intent to cause you harm or with extreme indifference to your safety. These damages are not meant to compensate you like the other two kinds are, though they end up in your pocket nonetheless.
How Much Time Do I Have To File a Mass Transit Accident Claim in Illinois?
The statute of limitations for Illinois personal injury cases is two years. By default, you’ll have two years from the date of your accident to file a lawsuit against the responsible party.
However, there are many exceptions to this deadline – depending on the facts of your case. In addition, you’ll generally only have one year to take legal action against a government entity.
Because of this nuance, we recommend contacting our law office as soon as you can after the accident takes place. We can confirm the appropriate deadline for your particular case at that time.
Schedule a Free Case Review With an Experienced Chicago Mass Transit Accident Attorney
If you were injured while using public transportation in Chicago, Illinois, you may have the option to pursue a legal claim against the at-fault party. Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers is one of the most well-regarded personal injury law firms in the area. We’re confident that we can help you secure compensation if you hire us to represent you.
We also work for a contingency fee. That means it costs you nothing upfront to hire us, and we’ll only receive attorney’s fees if we win or settle your claim.
Contact us today to schedule a free consultation with one of our experienced Chicago mass transit accident attorneys.
Our personal injury law firm in Chicago, IL, also provides:
- Amusement Park Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Assault Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Aviation/Airplane Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Bad Faith Insurance Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Birth Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Boating Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Brain Injury Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Burn injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Bus Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Car Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Catastrophic Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Child Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Construction Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Dog Bite Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Electric Scooter Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Lyft Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Medical Malpractice Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Motorcycle accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Negligent Security Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Nursing Home Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Pedestrian Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Premises Liability Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Product Liability Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Sexual Assault Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Slip and Fall Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Taxi Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Train Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Truck Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Uber Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Workers’ Compensation Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Workplace Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in Chicago, IL