Did you or a loved one suffer injuries in a slip and fall on someone else’s property in Chicago, IL? You may be entitled to seek compensation from a negligent business or property owner. An experienced Chicago slip and fall accident lawyer at Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers can help you fight to recover damages for medical bills, lost wages, and your pain and suffering. Call us at (312) 929 2884.
Our lawyers have over 30 years of experience successfully helping clients recover fair compensation after a fall accident. In that time, we’ve won tens of millions of dollars on behalf of injured clients like you.
Falls can impact your life in unexpected ways. To learn more about how a lawyer can help, contact our law offices in Chicago, Illinois, to schedule a free consultation today.
How Can Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers Help Me After a Slip and Fall Accident in Chicago?
Slip and fall cases can be tough to prove. While most property owners carry insurance, the insurance company won’t simply step up and pay fair compensation. To recover fair compensation, you’ll have to prove your case.
An experienced Chicago personal injury lawyer can help. At Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers, our team has been recognized by Super Lawyers and the National Trial Lawyers for our exceptional legal representation.
Hiring our law firm means you’ll have an entire team to:
- Conduct an investigation and gather evidence on your behalf
- Build a strong case to prove you were injured due to a property owner’s negligence
- Retain experts who can bolster your personal injury claim
- Calculate the fair value of your losses
- Help you document your expenses and other losses
- Negotiate with the insurance companies and defense lawyers
You didn’t ask to get hurt. Our Chicago personal injury lawyers are here to help you hold the responsible parties accountable. Just give us a call today for a free initial consultation to get started.
How Often Do Slip and Fall Accidents Happen in Chicago?
Falls are one of the most common ways to sustain injuries. Studies have found that over 800,000 people are hospitalized with fall injuries annually across the United States.
According to CDC research, about 3 million older adults visited emergency rooms with injuries sustained in slip and fall accidents in 2020. Many of those injuries were serious. Unfortunately, falls were the cause of death for about 36,000 Americans aged 65 and up that year.
In Illinois, falls are the leading cause of traumatic brain injuries in adults aged 65 and older. In a single year, about 106,600 people were treated in hospitals and emergency rooms for fall injuries across the state.
How Much Is My Chicago Slip and Fall Case Worth?
The cost of an injury will vary from person to person. Accordingly, the value of your personal injury case will vary depending on the nature of the injuries and the losses you’ve incurred.
Some factors that are relevant to your case value include:
- The cost of your medical care
- The duration of your recovery
- Whether you lose income during recovery
- How the injury will impact your future career, education, and lifestyle
- The pain and suffering you’ve endured
- Damage to your emotional wellbeing
- The strength of your personal injury case
The amount of insurance available can also impact your case value. Regardless of the circumstances, you can count on our lawyers to fight for every dollar you deserve. Just give us a call to learn more about how we can put our experience to work for you.
What Types of Damages Are Available to Slip and Fall Accident Victims?
Slip and fall accident victims can seek compensation for their economic and non-economic losses, including:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost income
- Lost future earning potential
- Nursing care
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Diminished quality of life
- Physical disfigurement and scarring
- Loss of consortium, typically in fatal accident cases
Essentially, you can recover damages to make you “whole” again after an accident.
Can I Sue for Damages If I’m Being Blamed for a Slip and Fall Accident in Illinois?
Negligent property owners often blame slip and fall victims for causing their own injuries. You don’t automatically lose your right to recover compensation even if you are partly responsible.
Illinois follows a modified comparative negligence law with a 51% bar to recovery. You’re only prevented from recovering if you’re at least 51% responsible for your own injuries. If you’re less than 51% “at fault,” your settlement or verdict will be reduced in proportion to your percentage of fault.
Our Slip and Fall Attorneys Will Fight To Recover Compensation For All of Your Injuries
About one in five falls result in a serious injury. While falls are a serious problem for older adults, they can also cause serious injuries in younger people.
At Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers, we often represent slip and fall victims who have sustained:
- Broken bones
- Cuts and lacerations
- Hip fractures
- Back injuries
- Ankle and wrist injuries
- Neck injuries
- Facial injuries
- Dental injuries
- Soft tissue damage
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord damage
- Concussions and other head injuries
- Shoulder injuries
Falls can be catastrophic and even fatal. If you lost a family member because of a slip and fall incident on someone else’s property, our lawyers are here to help you take legal action. All you have to do is call our Chicago personal injury law firm for a free case review today.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Slip and Fall Injuries in Chicago, Illinois?
Some of the most common causes of slip and fall accidents include:
- Uneven pavement or floors
- Slick or slippery floors
- Spills and puddles that are not promptly cleaned
- Crumbling pavement
- Missing guardrails
- Unsecured rugs or carpets
- Debris, garbage, and other obstacles in paths and walkways
- Loose electrical cables or wires
- Poor visibility and inadequate lighting
- Damaged stairs
- Missing or worn stair treads
If you suffered injuries because a property owner failed to maintain safe property conditions, contact our slip and fall lawyers today. With an experienced lawyer by your side, you’re much more likely to recover the fair compensation you deserve.
How Do I Establish Liability After a Slip and Fall Accident in Illinois?
Slip and falls accident claims are a type of premises liability claim. Illinois property owners who allow others to enter their property are required to maintain that property in a reasonably safe condition under Illinois premises liability laws. The property owner can be held liable when dangerous conditions lead to injuries.
You still must prove the owner was liable to successfully recover compensation.
That means establishing:
- The owner’s legal duty of care
- A breach of duty occurred
To determine whether an actionable breach of duty occurred, you must establish the scope of the property owner’s duty. That depends on why you visited the premises in the first place.
Business owners have a heightened duty of care because people visit their property so that the business owner can make a profit. Whenever you visit a grocery store, restaurant, hotel, or other business, you’re classified as a business invitee.
Business owners must:
- Conduct regular property inspections to identify hidden or new hazards
- Fix known hazards in a reasonable amount of time
- Provide adequate warning about unsafe property conditions
If you were injured while visiting a business, you must generally prove the following elements:
- The business knew, or reasonably should have known, about the danger
- The business failed to provide adequate warning about the risk
- You were injured due to the dangerous property condition
Our lawyers will work to locate witnesses, video footage, and other evidence to prove you deserve compensation for your injuries. Just call for a free case evaluation with a Chicago slip and fall accident attorney today.
You’re classified as a licensee when, for example, you visit private property for social purposes. Private homeowners also have a duty of care. The scope is more limited, however. They have a duty to warn guests about non-obvious risks but no duty to inspect the property for hidden dangers.
Property owners do not have a duty to protect trespassers who enter the property without permission. While the owner can’t intentionally harm you, they aren’t liable if you’re injured because of something dangerous on the property.
How Long Do I Have To File a Personal Injury Lawsuit After a Slip and Fall Accident in Illinois?
You have two years to file a personal injury lawsuit in Illinois. This statute of limitations starts to run on the date of your accident. Once two years pass, you lose your right to sue for damages.
Contact a Chicago Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer for a Free Initial Consultation
Did you sustain injuries in a slip, trip, and fall accident on someone else’s property? Contact an experienced Chicago slip and fall accident attorney to determine whether you’re entitled to compensation. As always, Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers offers a free consultation so you can learn about your legal rights without risk.
Our personal injury law firm in Chicago, IL, also provides:
- Amusement Park Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Assault Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Aviation/Airplane Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Bad Faith Insurance Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Birth Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Boating Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Brain Injury Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Burn injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Bus Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Car Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Catastrophic Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Child Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Construction Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Dog Bite Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Electric Scooter Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Lyft Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Mass Transit Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Medical Malpractice Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Motorcycle accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Negligent Security Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Nursing Home Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Pedestrian Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Premises Liability Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Product Liability Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Sexual Assault Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Taxi Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Train Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Truck Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Uber Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Workers’ Compensation Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Workplace Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in Chicago, IL