Were you or a family member injured in a car accident involving a bus in Chicago, IL? You may be entitled to significant compensation. An experienced Chicago bus accident lawyer at Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers can help you recover fair compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and your pain and suffering. Give us a call at (312) 929-2884.
Recovering fair compensation is rarely easy. Our lawyers have over 30 years of experience between us–and we’ve already helped clients recover tens of millions of dollars in compensation.
Don’t hesitate to seek legal advice if you were injured. Contact our law offices in Chicago, Illinois to schedule a free consultation today.
How Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help With a Bus Accident Claim in Chicago
If you were hurt in an accident that wasn’t your fault, you shouldn’t be left to pay the resulting expenses. Unfortunately, treating an injury can be expensive. The person who caused your accident probably won’t step forward to pay your bills. An experienced Chicago personal injury lawyer can help you seek fair compensation from everyone who caused your crash.
At Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers, our lawyers have been recognized by Super Lawyers and The National Trial Lawyers for our trusted legal guidance. Over the years, we’ve helped countless clients like you recover fair compensation for their injuries.
When you hire us to represent you, we will:
- Conduct an investigation to determine who is responsible for your damages
- Compile the evidence to support your case
- Stand up for you if you’re blamed for getting hurt
- Bring in experts who can help with complex aspects of your case
- Determine your case value
- Negotiate with the insurance carriers on your behalf
It’s never too early to learn about your legal rights. Contact our Chicago personal injury attorneys to get the ball rolling today.
How Common Are Bus Accidents in Chicago?
The Illinois Department of Transportation provides crash reports each year. While public transportation is generally safe, 2,474 buses were involved in crashes statewide in 2021, the last year that data is available. 476 of those bus crashes caused injuries. Six bus accidents were fatal.
706 motor vehicle accidents involving school buses were reported across the state of Illinois in 2021. At least 65 school-age passengers were injured.
The vast majority of those accidents occurred in urban areas like Chicago. According to some reports, an accident involving a Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) bus occurs every 36 hours. While not every crash causes injuries, these accidents have the potential to cause significant damage.
At Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers, we handle all types of bus accident cases, including those involving:
- CTA buses
- School buses
- Charter buses
- Tour buses
- Greyhound buses
- Airport shuttle buses
- And more
Do you have questions about your legal options after a bus accident in Chicago? Our lawyers are here to help. Call our law firm today to schedule a free case review with a Chicago bus accident attorney.
What is My Chicago Bus Accident Case Worth?
Judges and juries consider many different factors when assessing the value of a personal injury case. Insurance companies pay attention to those same factors.
When our lawyers evaluate your case, we will consider all of the details, including:
- Whether your injuries were severe or permanent
- The cost of your medical treatment
- The length of your recovery
- How your earnings were impacted during recovery
- Whether the injury is expected to result in permanent disability or impairment
- Your physical pain and suffering
- How the injury has changed your lifestyle or damaged your quality of life
- The general circumstances of the accident
No two cases are exactly the same. Still, the insurance companies will compare your injury claim to others. Our lawyers are here to make sure the unique circumstances of your accident are properly accounted for.
What Types of Damages Are Available to Victims of Bus Accidents in Chicago, IL?
Under Illinois personal injury laws, you may be entitled to compensation for:
- Current medical expenses
- Future medical care
- Lost wages during your recovery
- Reduced earning potential for permanent or long-term disability
- Physical therapy
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Diminished quality of life
- Physical disfigurement and scarring
- Loss of consortium and other damages for wrongful death
The insurance company will want to see evidence about these and other losses. Our attorneys can help you document the damages you have suffered. We can also help you put a dollar value on your non-financial losses.
Can I Recover Any Compensation If I’m Partly Responsible for a Bus Accident in Illinois?
If you were involved in a bus accident, you may be blamed for causing the accident and injuries.
Illinois follows a modified comparative negligence law with a 51% bar to recovery. In cases involving shared fault, injured parties can recover partial compensation if they are less than 51% responsible for the accident. Once your share of blame reaches 51%, you’re barred from seeking compensation.
Even if you are 50% or less responsible for the crash, your settlement or verdict will be reduced in proportion to your share of fault.
Our Chicago Bus Accident Attorneys Will Fight to Recover Compensation for All of Your Injuries
Buses are much larger than typical passenger vehicles. When buses are involved in car crashes, the resulting injuries can be severe.
At Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers, we often represent bus passengers who have suffered:
- Broken bones
- Internal organ damage
- Brain injuries
- Nerve injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Soft tissue damage
- Spinal cord injuries
- Head and neck injuries
- Back injuries
- Catastrophic injuries
We can also help you fight for damages if your loved one was killed in a fatal bus accident. To learn more about our experience, call our legal team to schedule a free case review today.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bus Accidents in Chicago, Illinois?
Bus drivers, including school bus drivers, are required to complete specialized training in the state of Illinois. Most bus drivers must obtain a commercial driver’s license (CDL) to operate the vehicle. Still, buses can be difficult to maneuver–and many different variables can cause a bus accident.
Some of the most common causes of bus accidents include:
- Failure to check blind spots
- Distracted driving
- Failure to yield the right-of-way
- Failure to account for the bus’s longer stopping times
- Aggressive driving
- Congested roadways
- Unsafe passing
- Dangerous turns
- Failure to maintain the bus in a safe condition
- Running a red light or stop sign
- Drunk driving
- Operating the bus while under the influence of drugs
- Dangerous road conditions
- Defects in the bus or bus safety equipment
Do you need help proving the cause of your bus accident in Chicago? Contact our law firm for a free case evaluation today. We’ll do everything we can to help you get to the bottom of it.
Who Can Be Held Liable for My Damages If I Was Injured in a Bus Accident in Illinois?
Bus drivers aren’t always responsible for a crash. Regardless of the circumstances, it’s up to the victim to establish liability. That’s not always easy in a bus accident case. Many different people can share blame under Illinois law.
Examples of those responsible parties may include:
- Third-party motorists
- Bus companies
- Mechanics and maintenance teams
- Government transit agencies
- Manufacturers of defective equipment or parts
- Pedestrians or bicyclists
Most bus wrecks happen because someone was negligent.
- Someone owed you a legal duty of care
- They breached the duty of care
- The breach caused your accident and injuries
- You sustained damages
In Illinois, bus drivers are considered common carriers. That means they have a heightened responsibility to drive carefully and obey all traffic laws. In other words, they’re held to a higher standard of care than private drivers.
That doesn’t mean it’ll be easy to recover fair compensation. Many different factors can complicate your case. You may be facing a large corporation whose insurance company will work hard to undervalue or deny your claim.
Our lawyers are here to help you fight back. Call us today to schedule a free initial consultation to learn more about how we can help you prove liability.
How Long Do I Have to File a Bus Accident Lawsuit After a Crash in Chicago?
Most of the time, you’ll have two years to file a personal injury lawsuit. The statute of limitations can be shorter or longer in bus accident cases. If the city-run CTA was responsible for your injuries, you have only one year to take legal action.
We can help make sure you meet the deadline and understand the technical rules that apply in your case. Give us a call today to get started.
Contact a Chicago Bus Accident Lawyer Today for a Free Consultation
At Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers, we have the resources to handle even the most complex personal injury claim. Contact our law offices in Chicago to learn more about our skills and experience. An experienced Chicago bus accident lawyer is always here to discuss your case.
Our personal injury law firm in Chicago, IL, also provides:
- Amusement Park Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Assault Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Aviation/Airplane Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Bad Faith Insurance Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Birth Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Boating Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Brain Injury Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Burn injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Car Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Catastrophic Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Child Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Construction Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Dog Bite Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Electric Scooter Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Lyft Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Mass Transit Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Medical Malpractice Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Motorcycle accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Negligent Security Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Nursing Home Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Pedestrian Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Premises Liability Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Product Liability Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Sexual Assault Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Slip and Fall Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Taxi Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Train Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Truck Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Uber Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Workers’ Compensation Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Workplace Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in Chicago, IL