Are you struggling with debilitating injuries or the trauma of a family member’s death because of a dog attack in Chicago, Illinois? Call Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers for the help and support you need during this difficult time in your life. You may be entitled to compensation, and our Chicago dog bite lawyers are ready to help you fight for every dollar you deserve. Call us at (312) 929 2884 today.
Since 2011, we’ve been proud and tenacious advocates for dog bite victims in Chicago. Together, our top-rated legal team has 30+ years of experience handling complex personal injury matters like yours. Through hard work and a client-centric approach to litigation, we’ve won millions of dollars for clients like you.
Now is the time to stand up and demand financial accountability from the dog’s owner and other potentially liable parties. Let us help. Contact our law office in Chicago, IL to get started. We offer a free case evaluation, so contact us today.
How Our Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help If You’ve Been Bitten by a Dog
Getting bitten by a dog can be incredibly traumatizing. It can also inflict severe, debilitating injuries that change the course of your life forever. You should not have to bear the costs and burdens of this dog attack on your own. The dog’s owner must be held accountable, and our Chicago personal injury lawyers are here to help you make that happen.
For more than a decade, we’ve helped our clients go up against powerful insurance companies, corporations, hospitals, and other unwavering defendants in complex personal injury matters. We understand the challenges you’ll face as you pursue compensation, and we have the resources and experience to help you get the best possible outcome in your case.
When you trust our Chicago personal injury law firm with your dog bite case, you’ll make it clear that you’re not walking away from this fight without the compensation you deserve.
Our team can handle every aspect of your dog bite injury claim while you focus on getting better:
- Carefully analyze evidence obtained through an investigation and throughout the discovery process
- Determine who, other than the dog’s owner, might be financially responsible for your injuries
- Consult with leading medical and injury specialists throughout the claims process
- Prepare to defend against claims that you provoked the dog
- Handle settlement conferences with the dog’s owner, their insurance company, and other parties on your behalf
- Offer advice when you’re tasked with making important case-related decisions
If you’re not offered a reasonable settlement, our dog bite attorneys in Chicago will be more than ready to bring your case to trial. We’re tough negotiators who also thrive in the courtroom.
Call our Chicago law office to discover more about our legal services and how we might be able to help you move forward after your dog bite. We offer a free consultation, so contact us to get started now.
Does Illinois Have a One-Bite Rule?
No. Illinois is a strict liability state when it comes to dog bites. Simply put, a dog’s owner is (almost) always responsible for the costs of a dog bite, regardless of that dog’s history of aggression.
This is true as long as the victim is “peaceably conducting himself or herself in any place where he or she may lawfully be.”
A Chicago dog owner could try to do everything in their power to prevent their dog from biting you, but they’d still be liable for the costs of your injuries if you were lawfully (and peacefully) on the premises.
Negligence Can Also be a Path to Recovery in a Chicago Dog Bite Claim
The dog’s owner isn’t the only one who could potentially be liable for the costs of your dog bite injury. Many times, dog bite cases are a matter of premises liability. The person who owns or manages the property where you were bitten by the dog could potentially be on the hook for your damages, too.
This would be the case if the owner’s negligence contributed to the dog attack.
For instance, let’s say a landlord knew that a vicious dog lived in your apartment building and frequently roamed common spaces. If the landlord didn’t take steps to prevent this from happening and you were bitten by that dog, the landlord could be liable.
The same holds true for anyone who owes you a duty of care, breaches it in some way, and creates a situation in which you can be bitten by a dangerous dog.
What’s My Chicago Dog Bite Case Worth?
Dog bites can be devastating, but everyone suffers the consequences of an attack differently. For that reason, there’s no average dog bite settlement or award. Instead, specific factors relevant to your case will ultimately dictate how much money you might be able to recover for your dog bite injuries.
- What types of injuries have you suffered?
- Is there a high probability that you’ll be diagnosed with a permanent impairment or disability?
- How has your ability to work – or work in the future – changed since the dog bite?
- How have you been affected emotionally and psychologically?
- What are your out-of-pocket costs?
- How old were you at the time you were bitten by the dog?
You’ll want to work with a lawyer who will carefully analyze these and other important factors. The insurance company will fight you during valuation, working hard to limit how much you’re awarded for your severe dog bite injuries and resulting trauma. Our dog bite attorneys in Chicago will work hard to ensure that you get a result that really represents what your case is worth.
What Damages Can I Get in a Chicago Dog Bite Lawsuit?
When you’re bitten by a dog in Chicago, you’ll generally be able to seek economic and non-economic damages for your resulting trauma.
Economic damages make up for the monetary losses related to your dog bite, while non-economic damages compensate for the stress and suffering you personally endure as a victim.
Our Chicago dog bite attorneys will fight to get you money for:
- Medical bills
- Physical therapy
- Lost wages
- Lost job opportunities
- Reduced earning capacity
- Personal care assistance
- Funeral costs, in the event a dog bite is fatal
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Emotional distress
- Reduced quality of life
If there’s evidence of intentional, malicious, or grossly negligent conduct, punitive damages might also be available in a dog bite lawsuit.
Common Dog Bite Injuries
According to State Farm, Illinois ranks second in the nation for dog bites. In 2021, the insurance provider settled 290 dog bite injury claims in Illinois for over $16.6 million. Only California had more dog bite-related claims.
Many times, victims of these dog bites in Illinois suffer debilitating, painful injuries, including:
- Broken bones
- Severed limbs/amputation
- Trauma to the face
- Eye injury
- Vision or hearing loss
- Crushing injury
- Infection and disease
- Traumatic brain injury
- Back injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Neck injury
- Soft tissue damage
In some cases, dog bite injuries are fatal. Sadly, this is particularly true when young children are bitten by dogs. If you have lost a close family member because they were bitten by a dog in Chicago, our wrongful death attorneys can help you move forward and seek compensation from those responsible. Money can’t bring your family member back, but it can help to provide a sense of closure and offer a sense of justice for your devastating loss.
How Long Do I Have To File a Dog Bite Lawsuit in Illinois?
The statute of limitations for most dog bite injury lawsuits in Illinois is two years.
If a child is injured in a dog attack in Chicago, the statute of limitations can generally be tolled until they turn 20.
It’s important to act quickly after you’ve been bitten by a dog in Chicago. Once time runs out, you’ll lose the ability to assert your legal rights and demand the compensation you deserve.
Schedule a Free Case Assessment With an Experienced Chicago Dog Bite Lawyer
Don’t try to deal with the fallout of your dog bite injuries on your own. Under Illinois law, the dog’s owner is strictly liable for the costs and consequences you’ve endured. Call our Chicago dog bite lawyers and discover how we can help you make the most of your fight for compensation.
Choose Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers, and you’ll benefit from a team of passionate legal professionals with over 30 years of experience representing injury victims like yourself. We’ve won millions on their behalves, and we’re ready to fight to get you top results, too.
Call our Chicago law office to get started by setting up a time for a free consultation today. A member of our team is always available to help – 24/7/365.
Our personal injury law firm in Chicago, IL, also provides:
- Amusement Park Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Assault Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Aviation/Airplane Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Bad Faith Insurance Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Birth Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Boating Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Brain Injury Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Burn injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Bus Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Car Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Catastrophic Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Child Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Construction Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Electric Scooter Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Lyft Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Mass Transit Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Medical Malpractice Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Motorcycle accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Negligent Security Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Nursing Home Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Pedestrian Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Premises Liability Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Product Liability Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Sexual Assault Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Slip and Fall Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Taxi Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Train Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Truck Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Uber Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Workers’ Compensation Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Workplace Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in Chicago, IL