Were you or a loved one attacked in Chicago, IL? You may be entitled to seek compensation from your attacker and anyone who allowed the assault to occur. An experienced Chicago assault injury lawyer at Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers can help you fight to recover compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
Our lawyers have over 30 years of combined experience representing clients in personal injury law matters. We’ve already recovered tens of millions of dollars on behalf of injured clients to date.
How Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help Me With an Assault Injury Claim After an Attack in Chicago
Having an experienced attorney by your side can make the difference between recovering some compensation and recovering the full compensation you deserve.
At Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers, our lawyers have been working together to protect injured parties since 2011. Over the years, we’ve been recognized by Super Lawyers and The National Trial Lawyers for our legal services.
When you hire our Chicago personal injury attorneys, you can trust that we will:
- Identify all options for recovering compensation
- Investigate to determine who allowed your attack to occur
- Assess your damages and calculate your case value
- Hire experts when needed to prove your case
- Negotiate with all insurance companies on your behalf
- Represent your interests in court and fight for full compensation
People don’t typically want to accept responsibility when they are negligent and allow someone to get hurt. You’ll need an experienced Chicago personal injury lawyer by your side. Our skilled lawyers are well-prepared to fight for you.
When you’re ready to discuss your case, call our legal team to schedule a free consultation.
How Common is Assault in Chicago?
Violent crimes are unfortunately common in Chicago. While criminal activity actually dropped in 2022, crime is still a problem in the city and across the U.S. In fact, about 2.55 million violent crimes are reported nationwide each year.
According to data published by the Chicago Police Department, 5,890 cases of aggravated assault were reported in 2022. 2,033 cases of criminal sexual assault and 695 murders were reported that year.
Gun violence also continues to be a problem in the city. 2,832 shooting incidents occurred in 2022.
Overview of Assault and Battery Laws in Illinois
Assault and battery are common crimes. When most people think of a physical attack, they think of assault crimes. In reality, assault and battery are two separate criminal offenses.
Battery occurs when a person has no legal justification and:
- Knowingly causes bodily harm to another person
- Knowingly makes physical contact of an insulting or provoking nature
Assault, on the other hand, occurs when someone knowingly puts another person in fear of receiving a battery.
Of course, both assault and battery are criminal offenses. Your attacker can be punished with jail time, a lengthy prison sentence, and even financial penalties in criminal court.
Assault and battery are also intentional torts. Intentional torts are dealt with in civil court. Instead of imposing criminal penalties, civil courts are concerned with awarding fair compensation to victims of the conduct.
What is My Chicago Assault Injury Case Worth?
Before our lawyers estimate your case value, we will carefully review the facts. All personal injury cases are different. It’s necessary to evaluate the unique circumstances of your case before we file a claim for compensation.
Various factors can influence your case value, including:
- The type of injuries you have suffered
- The identity of the responsible party and the nature of their acts
- The cost of your medical treatment and other expenses
- How the assault and injury impact your work and earning potential
- The type of emotional and physical pain you have endured
- How the injury affects your quality of life
Assigning a dollar value to some of your losses will be difficult. Fortunately, our lawyers have years of experience helping clients like you. We can also bring in experts who can help with the valuation process.
What Types of Damages Are Available to Victims of Assault in Chicago, IL?
Examples of the specific types of compensation you may be entitled to receive include:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Reduced earning potential
- Physical therapy
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Mental conditions, including anxiety and depression
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Diminished quality of life
- Damage to relationships
- Physical disfigurement and scarring
- Loss of consortium and additional damages for wrongful death if the attack was fatal
If your attacker is caught, the court may also award punitive damages. Punitive damages do not represent any specific loss. Instead, they punish the victim for intentional wrongdoing and reckless disregard for human life.
Our Chicago Assault Injury Attorneys Will Fight to Recover Compensation for All of Your Injuries
An attack can lead to a wide range of injuries.
Depending on the severity of the attack, victims of assault often suffer:
- Facial injuries
- Dental injuries
- Broken bones
- Severe bruising
- Soft tissue damage
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Head and neck injuries
- Back injuries
- Gunshot wounds
- Organ damage
- Catastrophic injuries
- Wrongful death of a loved one
The emotional trauma of an attack can also be significant. Victims of assault often suffer from mental health issues, including severe depression, anxiety, PTSD, and fear. These emotional wounds can cause problems long after your physical wounds have healed.
You can count on our Chicago assault injury attorneys to fight to recover fair compensation for all of your injuries–both physical and emotional. If you were assaulted, call our law firm to learn more about your legal options today.
We Handle All Types of Assault Injury Cases
At Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers, our lawyers handle all types of assault injury claims in the Chicago area, including cases involving:
- Fights between friends or acquaintances
- Bar fights
- Domestic violence
- Muggings and robberies
- Sexual assault and rape
- Sexual abuse
- Police brutality
- Nursing home abuse
Any type of assault can give you the right to file a personal injury claim. To learn more about how our lawyers can help you fight to secure the money you need, call today for a free consultation.
Who Can Be Held Liable for My Damages If I Was Assaulted in Illinois?
Your assailant can be held liable for your damages if they’re caught. In fact, your attacker may be held responsible in civil court even if they are acquitted of all criminal charges. That’s because the standard of proof is lower in civil court. While the prosecution must prove their case beyond a reasonable doubt in criminal court, a lower “preponderance of the evidence” standard applies in civil court.
In reality, it can be tough to recover fair compensation from a single attacker. It’s also possible that someone other than the attacker could be liable for your damages.
Business owners in Chicago are required to keep their property reasonably safe. That includes providing adequate security to protect against crimes. If criminal activity in the area was reasonably foreseeable, the property owner must take reasonable steps to prevent it.
“Adequate security” might include:
- Working locks and deadbolts
- Locked fences or gates
- Adequate lighting
- Security guards
- Surveillance cameras and security systems
- Proper response to security alerts
After an attack, you may have a valid premises liability claim against the person who was responsible for keeping the property safe. These cases are based on negligent security.
For example, you may have a valid claim against:
- Landlords or managers of apartment buildings
- A college or university
- The owner of a bar, restaurant, or nightclub
- Sports venues
- Parking garage operators
- A hotel, hospital, or nursing home
- Government agencies
Our lawyers in Chicago will work to identify anyone who had a legal duty to prevent the attack. With that information, we’ll have the tools to pursue fair compensation for your damages.
How Long Do I Have to File an Assault Injury Lawsuit After an Attack in Chicago?
The statute of limitations in Chicago typically gives a victim two years to file a personal injury lawsuit. After two years pass, you could lose your right to compensation. The clock starts running on the date of the attack.
That said, it is possible that you could have additional time to pursue damages. If a criminal case is pending, the clock will be paused while the attacker handles their criminal defense. Once the criminal case is resolved, the clock once again begins to run.
Contact a Chicago Assault Injury Lawyer for a Free Consultation
You deserve justice if you were attacked. While police and prosecutors fight to hold your attacker accountable, our lawyers will help you fight for financial compensation. Contact an experienced Chicago assault injury lawyer at Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers to learn more about your legal options today.
Our personal injury law firm in Chicago, IL, also provides:
- Amusement Park Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Aviation/Airplane Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Bad Faith Insurance Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Birth Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Boating Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Brain Injury Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Burn injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Bus Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Car Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Catastrophic Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Child Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Construction Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Dog Bite Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Electric Scooter Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Lyft Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Mass Transit Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Medical Malpractice Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Motorcycle accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Negligent Security Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Nursing Home Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Pedestrian Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Premises Liability Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Product Liability Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Sexual Assault Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Slip and Fall Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Taxi Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Train Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Truck Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Uber Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Workers’ Compensation Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Workplace Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in Chicago, IL