Did you or a family member suffer injuries in a car accident involving a taxi in Chicago, IL? Taxi accident claims can be complicated. An experienced Chicago taxi accident lawyer at Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers can help you seek compensation for medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and additional damages. Call us at (312) 929-2884 for legal help.
Our lawyers have been representing taxi accident victims and their families since 2011. We’ve used over 30 years of experience to help our injured clients recover tens of millions of dollars.
If you were injured in a taxi accident, don’t hesitate to contact our law offices in Chicago, Illinois, to schedule a free consultation today.
Why Should I Trust Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers for Legal Assistance After a Taxi Accident?
Uber and Lyft are common in Chicago. Still, many people prefer the convenience of hailing a cab on the Chicago streets. That’s true even though cab drivers have a reputation for being aggressive and in a hurry.
When you’re involved in a taxicab accident, it’s important to have an experienced Chicago personal injury lawyer by your side. Cab accidents are unique in that the driver may not ultimately be responsible for your damages. The driver may not even own the taxi medallion. Different types of insurance may also be available.
At Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers, our lawyers have been rated by Super Lawyers and The National Trial Lawyers. Years of experience have given us the skills to help you get the maximum compensation you deserve.
You can trust our attorneys to:
- Investigate the circumstances of the accident
- Gather strong evidence to prove liability
- Hire top-rated experts when necessary to prove your case
- Defend you when the insurance adjuster blames you for the crash
- Calculate the full value of your insurance claim
- Handle all insurance negotiations and fight for a full settlement
The cost of an injury can be overwhelming. If you weren’t responsible for the accident, you deserve to be fairly compensated. Contact our Chicago personal injury attorneys to learn more about securing legal representation today.
How Common Are Taxi Accidents in Chicago?
Anyone who’s ever taken a taxi in Chicago has probably wondered how often taxi accidents happen. After all, cab drivers can be extremely aggressive.
Unfortunately, data on taxi accidents in Chicago is tough to find. Taxi cabs are grouped with traditional passenger vehicles in crash data reports. That makes it difficult to identify which car accidents involved a taxi.
However, one Chicago Tribune report indicates that 4,129 taxi accidents occurred across Chicago in a single year.
What Is My Chicago Taxi Accident Case Worth?
Our experienced personal injury attorneys get this question all the time. Before investing time and energy, clients want to know how much their case is worth.
The only way our lawyers can offer an accurate answer is to review the facts of your specific case. That said, there are several factors that are usually relevant when assessing your case value.
Those factors are:
- The severity of your injuries
- The cost of your medical care and out-of-pocket expenses
- The value of your lost wages
- Whether your future earnings will be affected
- The extent of your pain, suffering, and trauma
- Whether you will need ongoing medical treatment, rehabilitation, or assistance
- The circumstances of the accident and the nature of the at-fault driver’s acts
- The amount of available insurance coverage
Taxis in Chicago are strictly regulated. Taxi cabs are required to carry insurance to cover at least $350,000 in damages per taxi accident. This limit is higher than the typical coverage requirements that apply to drivers of private vehicles.
That doesn’t mean it’ll be easy to recover fair compensation. At Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers, we’re here to protect you from lowball insurance offers. Call our law firm today to schedule a free case review so that we can get started.
What Types of Damages Are Available to Accident Victims?
As an accident victim, you are entitled to seek damages to cover all of your financial and non-financial losses.
In legal terms, financial losses are called “economic damages” and typically include:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Reduced earning potential
- Physical therapy
- Nursing care
- In-home assistance
- Property damage
- Out-of-pocket expenses
Non-financial losses are called non-economic damages and may include:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Diminished quality of life
- Physical disfigurement and scarring
- Loss of consortium
You can count on our experienced Chicago taxi cab accident attorneys to fight for every dollar you deserve. To learn more about the types of damages you may be entitled to recover, call for a free case evaluation today.
Can I Recover Damages If I’m Being Blamed for Causing a Taxi Cab Accident in Chicago?
First, don’t be surprised if the insurance company tries to blame you for causing the accident. That’s especially true if your injuries were serious. Unless you were a taxi passenger, it’s possible that you could share some responsibility for the crash.
Under Illinois law, modified comparative negligence rules apply. Victims lose their right to compensation once their share of blame reaches 51%. If your percentage of fault is less than 51%, you can recover partial compensation.
Insurance companies are extremely familiar with these shared fault laws. They know they can pay less money if they can prove you were partly responsible. Our lawyers know the ropes too. We’ll do everything possible to protect you against unfair allegations that you caused the accident.
Taxi Crash Victims Often Suffer Severe and Debilitating Injuries
Like any motor vehicle accident victim, victims of taxi accidents often suffer serious injuries.
At Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers, we often represent accident victims who have sustained:
- Broken bones
- Whiplash injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Soft tissue damage
- Spinal cord injuries
- Head and neck injuries
- Knee and shoulder injuries
- Back injuries
- Organ damage
- Catastrophic injuries
- Wrongful death of a loved one
Taxi passengers don’t always wear seatbelts. If you were injured and weren’t wearing a seatbelt, the insurance companies might claim that you were responsible for making your injuries worse than they should have been. You won’t automatically lose your right to compensation even if you weren’t wearing a seatbelt.
You don’t have to back down in the face of insurance scare tactics like this. Instead, call our Chicago taxi accident attorneys to learn more about how we can help.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Taxi Wrecks in Chicago, Illinois?
The same factors that cause car accidents are typically involved in taxi accident cases.
In the City of Chicago, some of the most common causes of taxi accidents include:
- Distracted driving
- Fatigued taxi drivers
- Failure to yield the right-of-way
- Road rage
- Congested streets
- Weaving between lanes
- Stopping in dangerous locations to pick up passengers
- Dangerous turns
- Speeding through intersections
- Running a red light or stop sign
- Drunk driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs
- Failure to maintain the taxi in a safe condition
Taxi drivers spend their entire day behind the wheel. The more rides they complete, the higher their earnings become. That often motivates cab drivers to speed, violate traffic laws, and engage in other aggressive driving behaviors.
How Do I Establish My Right to Compensation After a Taxi Accident in Chicago?
Proving fault can be one of the most difficult aspects of a personal injury case. Taxi drivers who cause accidents aren’t quick to admit responsibility. After all, offering a safe ride is how cab drivers earn a living, and they won’t want to admit that they were negligent.
Negligence means that:
- The at-fault party owed you a duty of care (taxi drivers are common carriers who owe passengers a heightened duty of care)
- They violated the duty of care via some act or omission
- That breach of duty caused your accident
- You sustained damages
Taxi accident cases have an extra layer of complexity. Even if the cab driver caused the accident, you may be entitled to seek damages from a third party.
Examples of responsible parties who may owe you compensation include:
- The taxi company
- Government agencies responsible for regulating cabs
- Maintenance companies
- Companies hired to inspect taxis
- Third-party drivers
If a cab company was the driver’s employer, for example, they can be held responsible for the driver’s negligent driving.
How Long Do I Have To File a Lawsuit After a Taxi Accident in Illinois?
The statute of limitations in Illinois is typically two years. Under Illinois law, you have two years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury lawsuit. If you wait longer than two years, you lose your right to sue for damages.
In taxi accident cases, a shorter deadline may apply if a government agency was partly responsible. Regardless of the facts, it’s important to take legal action quickly after an accident. Our experienced taxi accident lawyers in Chicago can help you determine the correct deadline for your case.
Contact a Chicago Taxi Accident Attorney To Schedule a Free Consultation Today
Hiring a reputable Chicago taxi accident attorney can greatly improve your odds of recovering the fair compensation you deserve. Contact Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers today to schedule a free consultation for more information.
Our personal injury law firm in Chicago, IL, also provides:
- Amusement Park Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Assault Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Aviation/Airplane Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Bad Faith Insurance Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Birth Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Boating Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Brain Injury Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Burn injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Bus Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Car Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Catastrophic Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Child Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Construction Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Dog Bite Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Electric Scooter Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Lyft Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Mass Transit Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Medical Malpractice Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Motorcycle accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Negligent Security Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Nursing Home Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Pedestrian Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Premises Liability Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Product Liability Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Sexual Assault Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Slip and Fall Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Train Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Truck Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Uber Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Workers’ Compensation Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Workplace Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in Chicago, IL