Did you or a family member sustain injuries in an accident involving a semi-truck, tractor trailer, or big rig in Chicago, IL? Truck accident claims can be difficult to pursue. An experienced Chicago truck accident lawyer at Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers can help you fight to recover compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and your pain and suffering. Call us at (312) 929 2884 today!
With over 30 years of experience between us, you can count on our lawyers to work tirelessly to recover every available dollar. We’ve already recovered tens of millions of dollars on behalf of accident victims and we’re ready to fight for you.
Our team is always available to discuss your case. Contact our law offices in Chicago, Illinois to schedule your free consultation today. We are also fluent in Spanish and Arabic.
How Can Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers Help After a Trucking Accident in Chicago?
The insurance claims process is complicated enough in a simple car accident case. Truck accident lawsuits can become much more complex.
You may be facing off against a large corporation or commercial insurance carrier. It’s important to have a Chicago personal injury attorney who knows the ropes by your side. At Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers, we have decades of experience handling cases similar to yours. Over the years, we’ve been recognized by Super Lawyers and the National Trial Lawyers for our quality legal representation.
Hire us, and you’ll have an advocate to:
- Investigate the circumstances of the accident
- Analyze all available evidence to build the strongest claim possible
- Work with experts who can strengthen your case
- Calculate your case value
- Protect you from insurance scare tactics and “blame the victim” strategies
- Negotiate for the maximum compensation possible
Don’t wait too long to seek legal advice if you were injured in an accident. Contact our Chicago personal injury lawyers for a free initial consultation today.
Chicago, IL Truck Accident Statistics
The trucking industry is vital to the U.S. economy. Unfortunately, when trucks are involved in accidents, the resulting injuries can be severe–especially for passengers in smaller vehicles.
Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) data shows that 4,842 large trucks were involved in fatal trucking accidents nationwide in 2020. Another 107,000 commercial trucks were involved in accidents that resulted in injuries that year.
The Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) also keeps track of truck accidents that occur within the state. According to their data, 9,966 large commercial trucks were involved in motor vehicle accidents in 2020. 117 of those accidents proved to be fatal. Another 1,731 Illinois trucking accidents caused injuries.
In 2021, 12,040 large commercial trucks were involved in motor vehicle accidents from which 117 were fatal accidents and 1,946 caused injuries.
Why Should I Hire a Truck Accident Lawyer?
Truck accident cases can be extremely complicated. They often involve serious injuries, extensive damages, and large commercial vehicle insurance policies. Not surprisingly, trucking and insurance companies fight truck accident claims tooth and nail. They will invest significant resources in challenging your case.
You need an experienced advocate who can protect your rights and ensure these big companies pay you fair compensation. A truck accident lawyer can investigate your accident to gather evidence of the trucking company’s liability. They can also work with leading experts to prove fault. Perhaps most importantly, they can help you calculate the value of your damages so you know you’re getting a fair shake in your case.
What Are Common Causes of Truck Accidents in Chicago, Illinois?
When you hire Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers, you’ll be hiring an entire team who will determine the cause of your accident. The leading causes of truck accidents in Chicago are negligence and driver error.
More specifically, some of the most common causes of truck accidents include:
- Fatigued driving and violations of FMCSA hours-of-service rules
- Distracted driving, including texting while driving
- Dangerous turns
- Passing too closely to other vehicles
- Failure to yield the right-of-way
- Aggressive driving
- Failure to account for longer stopping times
- Inexperienced truck drivers
- Negligent hiring practices
- Failure to maintain the truck in safe, working condition
- Running a red light or stop sign
- Drunk driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs
- Slick roads and other hazardous road conditions
Uncovering the cause of your truck accident is critical to recovering fair compensation. If you need help determining the cause of your crash, reach out to our Chicago truck accident attorneys for a free case review today.
We Handle All Types of Trucking Accident Cases
At Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers, we handle all types of truck accident cases, including those involving:
- Head-on collisions
- Jackknife accidents
- Rear-end collisions
- Sideswipe accidents
- T-bone accidents
- Highway accidents
- Intersection accidents
- Accidents involving pedestrians and bicyclists
- Single and multi-vehicle crashes
- Override accidents
Trucks are often carrying dangerous cargo. If your accident involved improperly secured cargo or a cargo spill, we can help you determine who was responsible.
Chicago Truck Accident Victims Often Sustain Serious Injuries
Because trucks are so large and heavy, accident victims often suffer severe injuries. If you’re struggling with painful injuries, our experienced truck accident lawyers can help.
We often represent Chicago truck accident victims who have sustained:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Broken bones
- Spinal cord injuries
- Crushing injuries
- Nerve damage
- Whiplash injuries
- Soft tissue damage
- Head and neck injuries
- Back injuries
- Organ damage
- Catastrophic injuries
- Wrongful death of a loved one
An injury can be expensive to treat, even if you’re expected to make a full recovery. Whether your injuries were relatively minor or life-changing, don’t hesitate to reach out to our lawyers to determine whether you’re entitled to compensation. We’ll review your case for free, so call our Chicago personal injury law firm today.
Who May be Liable in a Truck Accident?
Assuming that the truck driver caused the crash, a third party may ultimately be responsible for paying your damages. Most truck drivers are employees. Their employer can be held liable when the truck driver’s negligence causes a crash.
Examples of some parties that could be at fault in your case include:
- The trucking company
- Truck maintenance companies
- A company responsible for inspecting the vehicle
- A company responsible for the truck’s cargo
- A government agency
- A company responsible for attaching the truck’s trailer
If you were seriously injured in a crash, the trucking company is already investigating to determine the cause. You deserve an experienced lawyer in your corner who can fight to prove your case. Contact our Chicago truck accident attorneys at Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers to learn more about how we can protect your legal rights today.
How Do I Prove Negligence After a Truck Accident in Illinois?
Establishing liability in accident cases involving large commercial trucks can be complex. As an initial matter, you’ll have to prove that someone’s careless, reckless, or wrongful act caused the crash.
Establishing negligence means proving:
- The at-fault driver owed you a legal duty of care
- They breached their duty of care
- The breach was the cause of your accident
- You suffered damages
Our lawyers will gather all available evidence to establish these elements. We’ll locate the truck’s black box recording device, examine the driver’s hours-of-service logs and the truck company’s maintenance records, and even gather hard evidence from the crash scene.
What Types of Damages Are Available To Truck Accident Victims in Illinois?
Two primary types of damages are available to personal injury victims: economic damages and non-economic damages.
Examples of your damages may include:
- Past medical costs
- Future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Reduced earning potential
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Diminished quality of life
- Anxiety, depression, and PTSD
- Loss of consortium
You may also be entitled to punitive damages in cases involving shocking behavior or intentional wrongdoing.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Should I Do After a Semi-Truck Accident?
There are a few steps you should take after a semi-truck accident.
These steps can help you protect your claim and your health.
You should always do the following after a truck crash:
- Contact 911. You should always call 911 after a truck collision. The dispatcher will send officers to the scene to investigate the accident. These officers will also create an accident report noting important details about the crash and possibly make preliminary determinations of fault. The dispatcher can also send emergency medical services to the scene.
- Exchange information. You should exchange contact and insurance information with the truck driver responsible for the crash. You will need this to file an insurance claim against the truck driver/trucking company. You should also obtain contact info for any witnesses to the accident. Their testimony might come into play if your case goes to court.
- Seek Immediate Medical Attention. You should seek prompt medical care after your crash. You can visit the hospital in an ambulance or follow up with your medical provider after the crash. Seeking prompt medical attention will ensure that you receive treatment for all your injuries — visible and hidden. It will put you on a quicker path to recovery and prevent the insurance company from claiming you failed to mitigate your damages.
You should also contact a truck accident lawyer as soon as possible after the accident. Your attorney will explain your rights and options for recovering compensation.
They will also help you avoid mistakes that will hurt your claim.
When Should I Contact a Truck Accident Lawyer?
You should contact a truck accident lawyer as quickly as you can after your accident. Insurance companies are aggressive. They will likely try to influence the direction of your case from its earliest moments. They prefer to contact you before you have legal representation.
They may try to solicit recorded statements from you that they can use against you later. They may try to get you to sign a medical records release so they can scrutinize your medical history for preexisting conditions. Or they may even offer you a quick settlement — one that doesn’t fully account for your damages — in hopes that you’ll sign it and go away.
You have one main way of combating these aggressive tactics: contacting a truck accident lawyer. Your lawyer can protect your rights from the beginning of your case. They can help you navigate your claim and avoid major mistakes that could hurt your chances of recovering compensation.
Contact Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers to schedule a free consultation with one of our experienced attorneys.
How Much is My Chicago Truck Accident Case Worth?
In cases involving large trucks, a commercial insurance policy is often at stake. That means more money is on the line. It also means that the insurance company might quickly begin pressuring you to accept a settlement.
It’s important to understand how much you really deserve.
The value of your personal injury case will depend on:
- The severity of your truck accident injuries
- The circumstances of the accident
- The cost of your medical treatment and other expenses
- The income you lost during recovery
- How the injury will change your future, including your ability to work and earn a living
- How the injury changes your quality of life
- Damage to your emotional health
After a serious truck crash, you may be faced with more expenses than you could have imagined. It’s critical to understand how much your personal injury case is worth before accepting the insurance company’s settlement offer.
Can I Recover Compensation If I’m Being Blamed for a Truck Accident in Illinois?
It depends on how much of the blame is allocated to you. Illinois follows a modified comparative negligence law. If the insurance company can prove that you were at least 51% responsible for your injuries, you’ll lose your right to compensation entirely.
However, if you were less than 51% liable, you can recover a portion of your settlement or verdict. Your compensation is simply reduced by your percentage of fault.
How Much Time Do I Have To File a Lawsuit After a Truck Accident in Illinois?
The statute of limitations in Illinois is two years in most personal injury cases. That means you have only two years to file a personal injury lawsuit–or you risk losing your right to compensation entirely.
The clock is already ticking, and trucking accident claims can be difficult to prove. To get the legal advice you deserve, call today to schedule a free consultation.
Contact a Chicago Truck Accident Lawyer for a Free Initial Consultation
If you or a loved one were injured in a truck wreck, it’s important to act quickly. Call Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers to discuss your case today. With an experienced Chicago truck accident lawyer by your side, you’ll greatly improve your chances of recovering the maximum compensation you deserve.
- J&J Truck Repair – 4337 S Kildare Ave Unit 1, Chicago, IL 60632
- General Truck Repair – 4743 W Kinzie St, Chicago, IL 60644
- 1st Class Auto & Truck Repair – 5944 W 65th St, Chicago, IL 60638
- Diversey Truck Center – 4857 W Diversey Ave, Chicago, IL 60639
Recent Motorcycle Accident Blog Posts
Truck Accident Resources
- U.S. Department of Transportation
- File a Chicago Truck Accident Claim
- Illinois Department of Transportation
- Chicago Parking Restrictions
*Disclaimer – we do not endorse these companies or profit from having them listed on our website.