Did a Lyft driver cause you to sustain injuries in an accident in Chicago, IL? If so, it’s possible you have a lucrative claim for compensation for things like your pain and suffering, financial losses, and much more. Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers can help you hold the at-fault party responsible for their actions beginning today.
We’re one of the most well-regarded personal injury law firms in the Windy City. Our Chicago Lyft accident lawyers have over 30 years of combined experience and have collected tens of millions of dollars for our deserving clients. If you hire us to represent you in your Lyft accident case, we’re confident we can recover the compensation you need to be made whole again.
How Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help You Recover Damages After a Lyft Accident
Lyft drivers don’t receive significant training and generally use their personal vehicles to make trips. That means they’re just like any other motorist on the road; accidents are bound to happen. However, Lyft accident cases are unique in that sometimes, you can file a claim against Lyft’s substantial insurance policy instead of the at-fault driver’s.
Hiring an experienced Chicago car accident attorney can make all the difference in the success of your claim. If you select Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers, we’ll treat you like family and cut no corners when it comes to maximizing your compensation. Our award-winning personal injury lawyers have been recognized by The National Trial Lawyers and Super Lawyers for their outstanding legal services. We can help with your Lyft accident case in Chicago, Illinois, by:
- Conducting an investigation into your accident to determine your best legal course of action
- Negotiating with the at-fault party to reach an adequate settlement agreement
- Taking care of all the required procedures, paperwork, and communications related to your case
- Bringing your claim to court and filing a lawsuit if necessary
Contact us today to discuss your case with a seasoned Chicago personal injury attorney. Your initial case review is free of charge and has no obligations.
How Often Do Lyft Accidents Occur?
In 2021, Lyft released its first safety report. The report was based on data from 2017 to 2019 and reveals the following:
- There were 105 fatalities in crashes involving a Lyft vehicle
- Ten people died in physical altercations during Lyft rides
- More than 4,000 people were assaulted during a Lyft ride
The report does not contain further statistics regarding Lyft accidents. Lyft has also, as of March 2023, yet to release a more recent or detailed safety report.
Lyft Accident Insurance Policy Considerations
Illinois is considered an “at-fault” state regarding its car insurance rules. As a result, you can generally pursue a claim against the responsible driver or their insurance carrier after an accident.
For Lyft accidents in particular, there are a few potential insurance policies you can file a claim against, some of which have much higher limits than others. The driver’s status at the time of the crash will determine the policy you may pursue compensation from.
Lyft App Is Off
If the Lyft driver was not working at the time of the accident and their Lyft app was off, you may only pursue a claim against their personal insurance policy.
Driver Is Waiting for a Ride Request
If the Lyft driver’s app was on and they were waiting for a ride request, Lyft provides limited liability coverage in the following amounts:
- $50,000 per person for bodily injury
- $100,000 per accident for bodily injury
- $25,000 per accident for property damage
However, this insurance only applies if the driver’s personal insurance does not.
Driver Is En Route To Pick Up a Passenger or During a Ride
If your Lyft accident occurs when the driver is en route to pick up a passenger or has already done so and is completing the ride, Lyft offers a substantial $1 million liability coverage policy.
When you hire us, our Chicago Lyft accident attorneys will do all the necessary legwork and research to determine the legal strategy best suited to the facts of your case. You can begin the process by giving us a quick call to schedule your free consultation today.
We’ll Work To Collect Compensation for All of Your Lyft Accident Injuries
Victims of Lyft accidents in Chicago, Illinois, can suffer severe, life-changing injuries. Types of injuries we can help you obtain compensation for include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Soft tissue injuries
- Fractures and broken bones
- Back injuries
- Chest injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Nerve damage
- The wrongful death of a loved one
- Crushing injuries
- Neck injuries
- Leg injuries
- Organ damage
- Spinal cord injuries
Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers can help you throughout the entire claims process while you focus on your health and well-being, no matter the nature of your injuries.
Common Causes of Lyft Accidents in Chicago, Illinois
Lyft accidents in Chicago generally happen for the same kinds of reasons other car accidents do, such as:
- Fatigued driving
- Failing to yield the right-of-way
- Drunk driving
- Running a red light
- Improper lane changes or turns
- Poor weather or road conditions
- Defective machinery or parts
- Distracted driving
No matter the cause of your Lyft accident, you may have the ability to file a compensation claim against the responsible party. Contact Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers today for legal help.
What Types of Damages Can I Receive From a Chicago Lyft Accident Claim?
You can recover economic and non-economic damages as part of your Chicago Lyft accident claim. These represent your financial and non-financial losses, respectively. Examples of these categories of damages include:
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Decreased enjoyment of life
- Medical bills
- Repair costs
- Scarring or disfigurement
- Emotional distress
- Decreased earning capacity
- Rehabilitation and therapy costs
- Out-of-pocket expenses
Punitive damages could also be available, but not in most cases. These damages are reserved for cases where the at-fault party acted egregiously, such as with extreme indifference for the safety of others or the intent to inflict harm.
What if the Opposing Party Is Blaming Me for My Lyft Accident in Chicago, IL?
In Illinois, you can still obtain compensation for your injuries even if the at-fault party blames you for the accident. The state has a modified comparative negligence standard with a 51% bar to recovery.
You will be assigned a percentage of the blame for your Lyft accident under this standard, and your damages award could be reduced accordingly. For instance, if you are assigned 20% fault for the accident, your financial award could be reduced by 20%. And if you are assigned 51% or more of the blame, you cannot recover compensation.
Without a skilled Chicago Lyft accident lawyer in your corner, the opposing party may get away with pinning more blame on you than warranted. Instead, hire Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers; we can help you fight back against undue allegations of comparative fault.
What Is the Deadline for Filing a Lyft Accident Claim in Illinois?
In Illinois, you’ll have two years from the date of the accident to file a claim, as established by the state’s statute of limitations for personal injury cases. However, there are exceptions to this deadline; in some cases, you may have a different amount of time to submit your claim.
Since interpreting the statute of limitations can be complex, it is best to reach out to our law office in Chicago to confirm the appropriate deadline for your situation.
Schedule a Free Case Evaluation With a Trusted Chicago Lyft Accident Attorney
Were you involved in an accident with a Lyft driver in Chicago, Illinois? You likely have an opportunity to file a claim and recover compensation for your damages and injuries. Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers is well-equipped to represent your interests from start to finish.
We believe you shouldn’t be prevented from hiring us due to financial concerns. That’s one reason our Chicago Lyft accident attorneys work on a contingency fee basis. You can hire us without paying anything upfront, and we’ll only receive attorney’s fees in the event we settle or win your claim.
Ready to begin forming an attorney-client relationship? Call today at (312) 929-2884 to set up your free initial consultation.
Our personal injury law firm in Chicago, IL, also provides:
- Amusement Park Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Assault Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Aviation/Airplane Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Bad Faith Insurance Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Birth Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Boating Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Brain Injury Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Burn injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Bus Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Car Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Catastrophic Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Child Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Construction Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Dog Bite Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Electric Scooter Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Mass Transit Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Medical Malpractice Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Motorcycle accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Negligent Security Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Nursing Home Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Pedestrian Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Premises Liability Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Product Liability Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Sexual Assault Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Slip and Fall Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Taxi Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Train Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Truck Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Uber Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Workers’ Compensation Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Workplace Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in Chicago, IL