If you’ve been injured because a product was unreasonably unsafe or defective, you may have the right to sue the manufacturer. Through a product liability lawsuit, you could be awarded compensation for your medical bills, loss of income, and the distress you’ve experienced. The experienced Chicago product liability lawyers at Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers can help you take on the manufacturer and fight to get every cent you deserve.
Collectively, our skilled trial attorneys have 30+ years of experience representing injured consumers and grieving families across the state. We strive to make a difference in the lives of every client we represent, and our results are a testament to that. Our law firm has won tens of millions of dollars in settlements and jury awards since our founding.
Give yourself the edge you need to take on a powerful corporation and win your product liability case. Call our law office in Chicago, Illinois, at (312) 929 2884 to learn more. We provide a free and confidential case evaluation. Don’t hesitate to contact us to get in touch to schedule yours today.
How Our Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help With Your Defective Product Claim
The thought of taking on a large manufacturer or corporation can be intimidating. After all, they have resources and teams of skilled defense attorneys waiting in the wings to fight your claims that you’ve been injured because their product was defective.
To win your product liability case, it’s important to put a respected and experienced litigator in your corner.
That’s why the Chicago personal injury lawyers at Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers should be your first call for help.
Since our founding in 2011, we’ve earned a reputation for going above and beyond for our clients and securing positive results for them. When you turn to us for help, you’ll benefit from our considerable resources, in-depth knowledge of Illinois product liability law, and passion for justice.
You take time to recover from your catastrophic injuries while our team:
- Identifies the specific defect that caused the product to be unreasonably unsafe
- Determines if the product has been recalled by the manufacturer or a government agency
- Determines if the product has been named in other similar types of product liability claims
- Gathers evidence to prove that your injuries were caused by the defective product
- Consults with industry experts, medical professionals, and other specialists to strengthen your claim for damages
- Handles settlement negotiations with the manufacturer and/or its insurance company
- Prepares to litigate your defective product claim at trial, if necessary
We know that medical bills can add up quickly after you’ve suffered a serious injury and that you may also experience a sudden loss of income if you’re not able to work. We don’t want you to skip asking for legal help because you think you can’t afford it. That’s why our personal injury attorneys in Chicago represent injured consumers on a contingency fee basis. You don’t pay us anything unless we win your product liability claim.
Get in touch with a member of our legal team in Chicago, IL, to get started today.
We Handle All Types of Product Liability Cases in Chicago, IL
At Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers, we represent clients in product liability cases involving:
- Medical devices
- Medical equipment
- Prescription medication
- Over-the-counter medication
- Personal care products
- Pesticides and household chemicals
- Household appliances
- High chairs and children’s goods
- Power tools
- Heavy machinery
- Construction equipment
- Fireworks and explosives
- Vehicle components, including airbags and brakes
- Sporting equipment
Any product has the potential to suffer from a defect. If you’ve been injured and suspect that the product was defective, don’t hesitate to call our law firm for assistance. We can review the specific details of your case and help you understand what legal rights and options might be available to you.
How Do Product Liability Laws Protect Me?
There’s no way for an independent company or government agency to ensure that every product that hits the American market is safe. So, safety is ultimately left up to the companies that make and sell the products we use.
Illinois and other states have implemented product liability laws to ensure that companies take this responsibility seriously.
Product liability laws essentially hold that companies that design, manufacture, and sell products can be held strictly liable if one of their products is defective.
Strict liability means that injured consumers don’t have to prove that the company was negligent in any way. Instead, liability automatically attaches as long as a defect can be proven.
So, when you get hurt while using a product, you can invoke the protections of the state’s product liability laws to hold the manufacturer financially responsible for your injuries, costs, and suffering.
What Are the Three Types of Product Liability Claims?
While there are several grounds for filing a product liability claim in Illinois, the three primary grounds are: design defect, manufacturing defect, and marketing defect (failure to warn).
Products suffer from a defective design when they are inherently unsafe. There’s a problem with the way the product was initially designed, which causes it to pose a threat to consumer safety no matter how carefully it’s used.
Design defects affect every single item that’s produced.
Products experience a manufacturing defect when there’s a problem with the way the product is assembled or built. The design is perfectly safe, but some deviation from the design renders the product unsafe.
Manufacturing defects can affect a single product or an entire batch of products on the assembly line.
When a company knows – or should know – that there’s a risk involved with using a product, it has a responsibility to disclose that information to consumers. This is why we tend to see so many warning labels on the products we buy. If a company fails to disclose a risk that’s not open and obvious and a consumer gets hurt, it can be held liable for its marketing defect.
What Do I Have To Prove To Win a Product Liability Lawsuit in Chicago?
While product liability claims can be based on negligence, the vast majority involve strict liability.
When you’re injured by a product and file a claim based on strict liability, you’ll have the burden of proving:
- The company named as the defendant designed, manufactured, and/or sold the product in question
- The product was defective in some way
- You were using the product as intended or in a reasonably foreseeable way, and
- The product’s defect was a direct and proximate cause of your injury
You’ll also have to show that you’ve suffered damages – like medical expenses, disability, or emotional distress.
Our product liability attorneys in Chicago will carefully investigate your accident, gather evidence to support your allegations, and work to build strong, persuasive arguments that prove your case. We’ll handle the heavy lifting while you take time to recover.
What Damages Can I Recover If I’ve Been Injured Because of a Defective Product?
When a product is unreasonably unsafe, it can cause severe, potentially catastrophic injuries. By filing a product liability lawsuit, you can potentially recover compensation to offset your financial costs and hard-to-value life changes.
In Illinois, these are known as economic damages and non-economic damages, respectively.
This could help you get money for:
- Current medical expenses
- Future medical bills
- Long-term treatment and care
- Reduced earning capacity
- Lost wages and job benefits
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Reduced quality of life
- Funeral expenses if a defective product causes the wrongful death of a family member
Our top-rated Illinois product liability lawyers will enlist the help of industry insiders, forensic scientists, medical professionals, and other experts as we dive into your case. We’ll learn from the insight they provide and work to really understand how your injuries affect (and will continue to affect) your day-to-day life. Our detailed approach will help us set you up to receive an award that really reflects what your product liability case is worth.
How Long Do I Have To File a Product Liability Lawsuit in Illinois?
Generally speaking, you have two years from the date you’re injured by a defective product to file a lawsuit.
However, the statute of limitations can be tolled until you discover the injury, which can be important in cases involving poisoning, medications, or medical devices that are implanted in the body.
The State of Illinois does have a 10-year statute of repose. Under it, litigation for product defects is limited to the first 10 years after a product is first sold.
It’s important to seek legal help as soon as you discover or suspect that you’ve been injured because of a defective product. At Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers, we’re available to take your call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Schedule a Free Consultation With an Experienced Chicago Product Liability Lawyer
Don’t try to take on a powerful manufacturer on your own. Call Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers and discover how we can help you fight for the financial accountability you need and deserve.
Our Chicago product liability lawyers are ready to take on your fight and work to make a genuine difference in your life.
To get started, all you have to do is reach out to our law office in Chicago to set up a time for a free consultation. We’re standing by to help, so call us today.
Our personal injury law firm in Chicago, IL, also provides:
- Amusement Park Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Assault Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Aviation/Airplane Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Bad Faith Insurance Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Birth Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Boating Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Brain Injury Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Burn injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Bus Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Car Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Catastrophic Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Child Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Construction Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Dog Bite Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Electric Scooter Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Lyft Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Mass Transit Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Medical Malpractice Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Motorcycle accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Negligent Security Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Nursing Home Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Pedestrian Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Premises Liability Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Sexual Assault Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Slip and Fall Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Taxi Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Train Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Truck Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Uber Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Workers’ Compensation Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Workplace Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in Chicago, IL