Did your child suffer injuries at birth in Chicago, IL? You would expect that your doctors, nurses, and OBGYN would do everything possible to keep your baby safe during pregnancy, labor, and delivery. If you suspect your family is suffering due to medical errors, contact Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers today.
An experienced Chicago birth injury lawyer can help you fight to recover compensation for medical bills, specialized care, pain, suffering, and more. Since 2011, our lawyers have helped injured families like yours recover tens of millions in compensation.
How Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help With a Birth Injury Claim in Chicago
Your baby is struggling with unexpected and possibly painful injuries. You might feel overwhelmed, afraid, and angry. If you’re like most parents, you’re probably struggling with a range of emotions. On top of everything else, you’re wondering how you’re going to pay for the treatment your child needs.
An experienced Chicago personal injury attorney can handle the battle to recover fair compensation.
It might sound dramatic, but negligent doctors and hospitals have teams of defense attorneys and insurance adjusters to protect them from liability. They won’t simply step forward and admit fault. Even if they seem sympathetic, that doesn’t put money in your pocket.
When you hire Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers to handle the legal issues, you have a team to:
- Gather evidence to prove what caused your child’s injuries
- Calculate the fair value of your losses, including future costs
- Hire leading experts in medicine, life care, economics, and other specialties as needed
- Reject any lowball settlements and negotiate for a fair deal
- Fight to protect you before a judge and jury if necessary
Our Chicago personal injury lawyers have been recognized by Super Lawyers and The National Trial Lawyers. Insurance companies and defense lawyers also recognize our name. They know that we won’t back down until we reach a fair settlement.
To learn more about how we’ll protect you, contact us today for a free consultation.
Birth Injuries: An Overview
Birth injuries are any injuries that a baby suffers while being born. Birth injuries can occur before birth while the mother is pregnant. They can also occur during the labor and delivery process–or even immediately after the child is born.
Too often, birth injuries occur because a medical professional was careless and made a mistake.
If you suspect your child was harmed because of substandard medical care, contact Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers today. We’ll do everything in our power to help your family recover the maximum compensation you deserve.
Our Attorneys in Chicago Handle Types of Birth Injury Claims
When people are careless, babies can be injured at birth in many different ways.
Our lawyers in Chicago handle all types of birth injury claims, including those involving:
- Broken Bones
- Cerebral Palsy
- Brachial plexus injuries
- Erb’s Palsy
- Shoulder dystocia
- Hypoxic Ischemic Encephalopathy (HIE)
- Spinal cord damage
- Intracranial hemorrhage
- Subconjunctival hemorrhage
- Cephalohematoma, or accumulation of blood under the scalp
- Caput Succedaneum, or swelling of the scalp
- Hypoxia, or lack of oxygen
- Brain injuries
- Placental abruption
- Uterine rupture
- Birth trauma caused by the umbilical cord
Are you wondering whether you have a valid personal injury claim? Contact our legal team today. We offer a free case review. That way, we can discuss your birth injury case and help you understand your legal options without risk.
How Common Are Birth Injuries?
Negligent medical care and rushed decisions contribute to thousands of birth injuries every single year.
According to some studies, for every 1,000 babies born in the U.S., between six and eight babies suffer a birth injury. That works out to about 28,000 birth injuries per year–or three birth injuries every single hour.
How Do I Know Whether My Child Suffered an Injury at Birth?
Some birth injuries are obvious. You may notice obvious injuries or bruising. Your doctors may even rush your child off to be resuscitated if they aren’t breathing.
Some additional signs of birth injuries include:
- Very pale or blue skin
- Weak reflexes
- Diminished or low heart rate
- An arched back when crying
- An extremely high-pitched cry
- Difficulty breathing
- Very rapid breathing
It’s also important to pay close attention to your baby once you’re released from the hospital. Some symptoms of birth injuries appear as the baby develops. If your baby has difficulty holding objects, makes strange movements, or experiences developmental delays, consult a doctor. It’s possible that something went wrong during labor and delivery.
What Are the Long-Term Consequences of Birth Injuries?
A birth injury has the potential to impact a baby’s entire life.
Some possible long-term consequences of birth injuries include:
- Loss of mobility
- Cognitive disabilities
- Loss of vision or hearing
- Developmental delays
- Problems with language and speech
- Brain damage
- Loss of a normal childhood
- A need for long-term care
- Inability to work and earn a living
- Ongoing rehabilitation
- Medication dependency
- A need for specialized education
- Development of ancillary medical conditions
- Seizure disorders
- Wrongful death
The exact consequences will depend on the nature of your child’s injuries. When you file a claim for compensation, it’s important to keep these potential long-term consequences in mind. Your settlement or verdict should fully account for all of your past losses–and your anticipated future losses.
How Do I Establish My Right to Compensation if My Child Was Injured at Birth in Chicago?
Birth injuries often happen because of medical negligence. To recover compensation, you’ll likely have to prove that your medical provider committed malpractice.
Doctors, nurses, and specialists must all provide medical care that meets certain standards. Medical malpractice occurs when a doctor’s act or omission deviates from the medical standard of care. When that happens, patients often suffer devastating harm.
Medical negligence means:
- A legal duty of care existed (all healthcare providers have a legal duty of care)
- The doctor deviated from the medical standard of care
- Your family suffered harm due to the breach of duty
The medical standard of care varies from case to case. Our Chicago birth injury attorneys will bring in medical experts and specialists who can testify about the level of care you should have received–and the mistake that caused your baby’s injury.
What Causes Most Birth Injuries in Chicago, Illinois?
Birth injuries typically happen because someone made a mistake.
Some of the most common causes of birth injuries include:
- Failure to properly monitor mother and fetus during pregnancy, labor, and delivery
- Failure to convert to a C-Section when indicated
- Failure to recognize risk factors
- Improper use of forceps, vacuum extractors, and other labor-assist devices
- Communication and charting errors
- Inexperienced medical professionals
- Failure to take a full medical history
- Failure to recognize dangerous prescription drug interactions
- Outdated medical technology
Without medical training, it can be difficult to pinpoint the cause of your child’s injuries. If you even suspect that your child was harmed due to a medical error, contact our law firm today. We’ll evaluate your case for free.
Damage Are Available if Your Child Suffered Birth Injuries Due to a Medical Provider’s Negligence in Chicago, IL
Victims of medical negligence are entitled to seek compensation for economic and non-economic losses.
Economic damages compensate for your financial costs, including:
- Medical bills
- Nursing care
- Specialized therapies
- Your lost wages while you care for your child
- Future medical bills and ongoing care
- Your child’s lost future earning capacity
- Long-term care
- Specialized education programs
Non-economic damages attempt to compensate you for things that aren’t as easy to quantify, including:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Diminished quality of life
- Loss of a normal childhood
- Damage to your relationships
- Physical disfigurement or scarring
Watching your infant struggle through the first months or years of their life can be extremely traumatizing.
Our experienced birth injury lawyers will work with leading experts as we work to prove the value of your personal injury claim. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help your family.
How Long Do I Have To File a Birth Injury Lawsuit Under Illinois Law?
Under Illinois law, you have two years to file a medical malpractice lawsuit. The two-year statute of limitations typically starts to run on the date the injury occurred. However, when injuries aren’t obvious, the clock starts to run on the date you discovered, or reasonably should have discovered, the damage.
That said, a four-year statute of repose also applies. Regardless of when you learn about the injury, you cannot file a lawsuit if more than four years have passed since the date the injury occurred.
To protect your right to compensation, call our lawyers in Chicago today.
Contact a Chicago Birth Injury Lawyer To Schedule a Free Consultation Today
You put your most valuable asset in the hands of a trusted medical professional. If they were careless, you deserve to hold them accountable. Contact Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers today at (312) 929-2884 to learn more about how an experienced Chicago birth injury lawyer can help you fight for every available dollar. Schedule a free consultation today.
Our personal injury law firm in Chicago, IL, also provides:
- Amusement Park Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Assault Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Aviation/Airplane Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Bad Faith Insurance Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Boating Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Brain Injury Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Burn injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Bus Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Car Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Catastrophic Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Child Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Construction Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Dog Bite Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Electric Scooter Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Lyft Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Mass Transit Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Medical Malpractice Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Motorcycle accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Negligent Security Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Nursing Home Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Pedestrian Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Premises Liability Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Product Liability Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Sexual Assault Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Slip and Fall Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Taxi Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Train Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Truck Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Uber Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Workers’ Compensation Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Workplace Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in Chicago, IL