If you or a family member were harmed because a doctor or medical provider made a mistake in Chicago, IL, you may be entitled to compensation. Medical negligence is a serious problem. If you were a victim, the experienced Chicago personal injury lawyers at Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers are standing by to help you fight for compensation to cover medical bills, lost wages, and your family’s suffering.
Since we founded our law group in 2011, we’ve helped injured clients recover tens of millions of dollars. Collectively, we have over 30 years of experience helping victims fight for justice.
How Can Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers Help With a Medical Malpractice Claim in Chicago?
Our experienced Chicago personal injury lawyers are ready to help you recover fair compensation if you were injured due to a negligent medical professional. Over the years, we have been rated by Super Lawyers and The National Trial Lawyers.
When you hire Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers, you’ll have a team of lawyers to:
- Investigate and determine the cause of your medical malpractice
- Gather evidence to prove your case
- Identify all sources of insurance coverage
- Calculate the value of your medical malpractice case
- Hire the experts and specialists required to proceed with your case
- Handle negotiations with the insurance companies and hospitals on your behalf
One single medical error can fundamentally change a person’s life. Our Chicago personal injury attorneys are passionate about helping injured patients get justice. We’re also passionate about holding negligent healthcare providers accountable to keep others safe.
We have the experience and resources you need in your corner during this difficult time. Call to learn more about getting legal representation in Cook County today.
Is Medical Malpractice Common in Chicago?
Thousands of innocent patients are harmed due to medical errors each year. These mistakes can be life-threatening. According to a widely-cited study conducted by the prestigious Johns Hopkins medical center, medical negligence is the third-leading cause of death in the United States.
These mistakes are also incredibly expensive. Research shows that insurance companies in the State of Illinois paid out $138,188,350 in medical malpractice settlements during 2022 alone.
If you were harmed, you deserve to understand your legal options. If you’re wondering whether you have a valid medical malpractice case, our lawyers are always available to discuss your rights. Contact Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers to schedule a free case review today.
What Is Medical Malpractice?
Not all mistakes give patients the right to file a lawsuit. Doctors can only be held liable for negligence when the care they provide deviates from the medical standard of care. That standard is developed within the medical community.
That can happen in many different ways. Our lawyers in Chicago handle all types of medical malpractice claims, including those involving:
- Anesthesia errors
- Birth injuries
- Emergency room errors
- Medication errors
- Hospital negligence
- Nursing negligence
- Hospital-acquired infections
- Failure to diagnose a disease
- Surgical errors
- Pharmaceutical errors
- Radiology errors
Do you have questions about your rights under Illinois medical malpractice laws? Give us a call for a free case evaluation today.
What Is My Chicago Medical Malpractice Claim Worth?
Like most personal injury claims, the value of your medical malpractice case will vary depending on the unique facts of your case.
Some of those facts include:
- The severity of the harm the patient has suffered
- The nature of the medical professional’s mistake
- The cost of the medical care the patient will require because of the mistake
- How the mistake impacts the patient’s work and quality of life
- Whether the mistake will cause any permanent impairment
- The certainty of liability and whether your case will settle or go to trial
It’s important to account for all aspects of your suffering when calculating your case value. That includes both physical pain and emotional suffering.
Cases involving severe harm can be difficult to value. Our lawyers have decades of experience helping clients like you put a dollar value on their losses. We have relationships with trusted experts who can help convince the insurance company about your case value. With our team in your corner, you greatly improve your chances of recovering fair compensation.
What Types of Damages Are Available to Victims of Medical Malpractice in Chicago?
Like any car accident victim, victims of medical negligence can recover compensation for economic and non-economic damages.
Examples of the types of compensation that may be available in your case include:
- Past medical expenses
- Future medical costs incurred due to the mistake
- Lost wages
- Reduced earning potential
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Reduced life expectancy
- Diminished quality of life
- Anxiety, depression, and PTSD
- Loss of consortium
- Damages for wrongful death
Our medical malpractice attorneys in Chicago will work hard to fully evaluate the damages you’ve sustained. From there, we will demand fair compensation on your behalf.
Our Chicago Medical Malpractice Attorneys Will Fight To Recover Compensation for All of the Harm You Have Suffered
Medical errors can cause severe long-term damage.
Examples of the types of harm patients may experience include:
- A worsened underlying medical condition
- New medical conditions
- More extensive and invasive medical procedures
- Brain damage
- Blood clots and stroke
- Bed sores
- Organ failure
- An overall reduced life expectancy
- Wrongful death
Many victims of medical negligence experience serious lifestyle changes. That can lead the patient to experience severe depression, anxiety, and other mental health disorders.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Medical Mistakes in Chicago, Illinois?
Mistakes happen every day. Doctors, nurses, and other medical professionals receive extensive training so that they can avoid dangerous errors. Still, there are many different reasons why medical malpractice occurs.
Some of the most common causes of medical malpractice in Chicago include:
- Failure to diagnose diseases, including cancer
- Charting and communication errors
- Underqualified or inexperienced healthcare professionals
- Understaffing, which can cause physician burnout and fatigue
- Wrong-site surgery
- Misidentifying patients
- Adverse drug interactions
- Failure to take a complete patient medical history
- Failure to order the correct diagnostic tests
- Misinterpreting diagnostic tests
- Failure to order the correct diagnostic tests
- Failure to recognize a patient’s symptoms
- Failure to refer the patient to a specialist when necessary
- Physician bias
- Drug or alcohol use
As the patient, you may not be entirely sure what caused the harm you have suffered. Our lawyers are here to help you get to the bottom of it. Contact our Chicago medical malpractice attorneys today to learn more about how we can protect your legal rights today.
How Do I Prove Medical Malpractice in Chicago?
There are several different elements that you must prove to establish medical negligence in the State of Illinois.
To recover damages, you must prove:
- The responsible party owed you a legal duty of care
- The medical standard of care that applies in your case
- The healthcare provider deviated from the standard of care
- You suffered some type of harm, or damages
Every doctor, nurse, and healthcare professional has a legal duty of care to provide their patients with competent medical care.
Establishing the medical standard of care can be a challenge. The standard will vary from case to case, based on:
- The level of training the medical provider has achieved
- The medical condition involved
- The patient’s age and general health
- Geographic location
Under Illinois law, you must first consult with an experienced medical provider who believes you have a valid claim for malpractice. Our lawyers have relationships with experts in various medical fields. With their help, we’ll have the tools to establish the medical standard of care that applies in your case–and to prove that your doctor failed to provide competent care.
How Long Do I Have To File a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit in Illinois?
Injured patients have between two and four years to take legal action under the Illinois statute of limitations.
Generally, you have two years from the date the medical malpractice case occurs to file a lawsuit for damages. However, in some cases, you might not know that the doctor made a mistake until some time has passed. Therefore, a “discovery rule” also applies, meaning you have two years from the date you knew, or reasonably should have known, about the medical mistake.
On the other hand, you will be barred from suing for damages entirely once four years have passed. That four-year clock starts running on the date the malpractice occurred.
Contact a Chicago Medical Malpractice Lawyer for a Free Case Review
If you were harmed because a doctor, nurse, or healthcare provider was negligent, you may be entitled to significant compensation. Our lawyers at Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers are ready to help you fight for fair compensation. Contact our law firm today to schedule a free consultation with an experienced Chicago medical malpractice attorney.
Our personal injury law firm in Chicago, IL, also provides:
- Amusement Park Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Assault Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Aviation/Airplane Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Bad Faith Insurance Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Birth Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Boating Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Brain Injury Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Burn injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Bus Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Car Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Catastrophic Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Child Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Construction Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Dog Bite Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Electric Scooter Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Lyft Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Mass Transit Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Motorcycle accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Negligent Security Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Nursing Home Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Pedestrian Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Premises Liability Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Product Liability Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Sexual Assault Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Slip and Fall Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Taxi Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Train Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Truck Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Uber Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Workers’ Compensation Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Workplace Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in Chicago, IL