Emergency room errors are more common than many people expect. Errors and mistakes in the ER can cause life-threatening conditions and permanent impairments for patients. If an emergency room error caused you harm in Chicago, IL, you could be entitled to compensation for your damages.
With more than 30 years of combined experience, our Chicago personal injury lawyers have the resources and skills to handle complex medical malpractice lawsuits. Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers opened in 2011, our attorneys have recovered tens of millions of dollars for our clients. We’ll fight to get you the money you deserve if a doctor or other medical provider causes you harm.
The Illinois statute of limitations sets deadlines for filing medical malpractice claims. Contact our Chicago emergency room error lawyers at (312) 929 2884 for a free consultation to discuss your legal rights.
How Can Our Chicago Medical Malpractice Lawyers Help After an Emergency Room Error?
People go to the emergency room when they need immediate medical treatment. Their injuries or symptoms could require emergency surgery or life-saving treatment. They expect to receive the care they need to save their lives.
Medical negligence in emergency rooms can result in additional pain and suffering, medical bills, and lost wages. In some cases, ER errors result in wrongful death. When these mistakes cause patients to suffer injuries, doctors, hospitals, and healthcare professionals should be held liable for their negligence.
Our Illinois medical malpractice lawyers at Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers have received numerous awards. We have been recognized by Super Lawyers for our outstanding legal services. The National Trial Lawyers included our lawyers on their lists of the Top 100 and Top 40 Under 40 lawyers.
When you hire our award-winning lawyers at Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers, you can trust that we will protect your rights by:
- Investigating the circumstances that led to your injuries
- Hiring medical specialists and expert witnesses to provide evidence that an emergency room error caused your injuries and document the extent of your injuries
- Working with financial experts to accurately place a value on your financial damages
- Filing claims and lawsuits to protect your right to compensation
- Negotiating settlements for the full value of your damages
- Litigating your medical malpractice case in court, if necessary
Emergency room errors caused by negligence or intentional acts are avoidable events. We will diligently pursue your claim to hold the doctors and hospitals accountable for their mistakes.
Contact our law firm to schedule your free case evaluation with an experienced emergency room error lawyer in Chicago, Illinois.
Common Causes of Emergency Room Errors in Chicago, IL
There are approximately 131 million emergency room visits each year. One study estimates that about 7.4 million patients were misdiagnosed during ER visits each year. The ER is a hectic place where life-altering decisions must be made in less than a second.
Doctors, nurses, and other medical staff members are trained for high-stress situations. Therefore, the hectic pace of an emergency room does not excuse negligence.
Common errors in Chicago emergency rooms include, but are not limited to:
- Diagnostic errors
- Medication mistakes
- Documentation errors
- Failure to order required tests
- Errors in performing medical procedures
- Misdiagnosis or failure to diagnose
- Misinterpreting test results
- Failing to consider relevant information, including patient-reported symptoms
- Failure to review a patient’s medical history
- Premature discharge because of inadequate assessments
- Failing to obtain informed consent
- Delayed medical treatment
There are many reasons why emergency room errors happen. Inexperienced and poorly trained staff, understaffing, failure to follow ER procedures, distractions, working too many shifts, and general negligence are some of the reasons for emergency room errors.
Proving Liability for Damages Caused by Emergency Room Errors in Chicago, IL
Doctors, nurses, lab technicians, hospitals, and other parties can be liable for damages caused by emergency room errors.
Typically, you must prove the following legal elements to demonstrate that a medical error caused your injury:
- The medical provider owed you a duty of care
- The provider’s actions did not meet the accepted medical standard of care
- The failure to meet the standard of care was the cause of your injury
- You sustained damages because of the provider’s conduct
Medical experts are required to testify about the medical standard of care and how the provider’s conduct failed to meet it. Our law firm works with leading experts on medical malpractice claims.
What Damages Can I Receive If I Was Injured Due To an Emergency Room Error in Chicago, IL?
Examples of damages you could receive include:
- Medical bills and expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Impairments and disabilities
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Emotional distress
- Lost wages
- Rehabilitative therapies
- Mental anguish
- Disfigurement and scarring
- Loss of enjoyment of life and quality of life
- Personal care and long-term nursing care
We’ll work with you to document your damages to maximize the amount you receive for a medical malpractice claim. If you believe a healthcare provider caused your injury, call our office now to speak with a Chicago medical malpractice attorney.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Medical Malpractice Law Firm in Chicago
Our lawyers at Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers are committed to protecting your best interests. Our top priority is to recover fair and just compensation in your medical malpractice case. We will not stop working on your case until we pursue every party responsible for your injuries.
Call our law office to request a free case review with one of our experienced Chicago emergency room error attorneys.