Have you or a loved one recently been injured in a bicycle accident in Chicago, Illinois? Call Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers. Now is the time to assert your rights and demand compensation for your medical bills, loss of income, and distress. Our Chicago bicycle accident lawyers can help you fight to recover every cent you deserve. Call us at (312) 929-2884 for legal help.
Since 2011, Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers has been dedicated to providing guidance, support, and strength to injured cyclists and grieving families across Chicago. Collectively, our award-winning Illinois trial attorneys have over 30 years of experience. We’ve won millions on behalf of catastrophically injured clients like you.
We’re ready to go above and beyond and make a meaningful difference in your life. All you have to do is call our law office in Chicago, IL and ask for help. Your first consultation is free, so contact us today.
How Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help After a Bicycle Accident in Chicago, IL
You probably have a million questions running through your head after your bicycle is involved in a car accident.
Who’s at fault? Why’d the bike accident happen? Will insurance cover your injuries? Whose? What if the insurance company tries to blame you for the bike accident? What kind of evidence will you need to win your case?
Now is the time to focus on resting and recovering, which is tough to do when these (and other) questions are keeping you up at night. That’s why Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers should be your first call after your bicycle accident in Chicago.
Our top-rated personal injury lawyers in Chicago are here to take on every aspect of your bicycle accident case. We can:
- Provide answers to your most pressing questions and keep you informed throughout the claims process
- Coordinate a thorough investigation into the bicycle accident in which you were hurt
- Scrutinize evidence we’ve obtained through discovery, including medical records, vehicle maintenance records, photographs, video recordings, accident reports, witness statements, property damage, physical evidence from the scene, and more
- Work closely with respected medical professionals, accident reconstructionists, therapists, and other experts as we build your case
- Aggressively negotiate the terms of a settlement with the insurance company, negligent motorist, or other parties
- Be ready to argue your case at trial in front of a Chicago jury, if necessary
The costs of a bicycle accident can be high, and we don’t want the cost of getting legal help to add to your stressful situation. That’s why our bicycle accident attorneys in Chicago work on contingency – so you pay nothing unless we win or settle your case.
Give our law office in Chicago a call to arrange a time for a free, no-obligation case evaluation now.
Chicago Bicycle Accident Statistics
Riding a bike can be a great way to get around a traffic-congested city like Chicago, but it can also be quite dangerous. Hundreds of bicycle accidents are reported across the city every year, many of which result in injury or death.
In 2021, a total of 1,081 bicycle accidents were reported in Chicago. From that total, 993 people were injured, and at least 11 bicycle accidents were fatal.
Overall, this reflects a slight decline from 2019, when there were a total of 1,239 bicycle accidents in Chicago. However, fatal bicycle accidents have increased during this same period of time. In fact, they’ve more than doubled. In 2019, just 5 bicycle accidents in Chicago were fatal.
What Causes Most Bicycle Accidents in Chicago?
Bicycle accidents are, for the most part, entirely avoidable. After all, everyone assumes a responsibility to exercise reasonable care while traveling Chicago roads, and to obey local and state traffic laws, as well.
For the most part, bicycle accidents in Chicago happen when someone is negligent.
Some of the most significant contributing factors include:
- Distracted driving
- Drunk driving
- Drowsy driving
- Failing to check for bicyclists in an intersection before turning
- Failing to yield the right of way
- Failing to leave enough space between another vehicle and the bicycle
- Unsafe lane changes
- Unsafe turns
- Running red lights and stop signs
Other factors – including vehicle defects, bad weather or road conditions, road construction, and limited visibility – can also contribute to or cause bicycle accidents in Chicago.
How Much Is My Chicago Bicycle Accident Case Worth?
No two bicycle accident cases are the same. After all, the circumstances of every crash are different, and so is every victim.
So, there’s no standard or average value for a bicycle injury claim.
However, several factors will be important when it comes to valuation:
- The types of injuries you’ve sustained
- The severity of those injuries
- Whether you’re able to continue working, and to what extent
- Shared responsibility for the bicycle accident
- Likelihood of permanent disability or impairment
- Steps taken to mitigate your injuries
- Whether the accident aggravated any pre-existing medical conditions
- The emotional and psychological impact of the bike crash
The best way to know what your bicycle accident case is worth is by reaching out to an experienced personal injury lawyer near you in Chicago. At Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers, we’re available to review the details of your case, assess your damages, and help you get a better sense of how much money you might be able to recover in a claim or lawsuit.
What Compensation Is Available to Injured Bicyclists?
Following a bicycle accident in Chicago, you may be entitled to an award of compensatory damages.
Compensatory awards include compensation for economic damages (to offset financial losses) and non-economic damages (to make up for suffering and life changes).
This can include money for:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Property damage
- Nursing assistance
- Funeral costs
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Loss of consortium
- Reduced quality of life
In some cases, a jury in Chicago might decide that punitive damages are appropriate, too. However, they would have to find clear and convincing evidence of intentionally harmful or grossly negligent conduct.
Who Is Liable For My Bicycle Accident?
In Illinois, liability for a bicycle accident could be shared by:
- Negligent motorists
- Other bicyclists
- Bus drivers
- Truck drivers
- Uber or Lyft drivers
- Employers of negligent parties
- Property owners
- Government agencies
- Bicycle manufacturers
- Vehicle manufacturers
At Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers, we’ll carefully examine the details of your case and work to identify everyone who directly or indirectly contributed to your injuries. Once liability is clear, we’ll aggressively pursue damages on your behalf.
How Can Shared Fault Affect My Illinois Bicycle Accident Claim?
You can receive compensation from a third party after a bicycle accident in Chicago as long as you’re not more than 50 percent at fault for the crash.
That’s because Illinois has a modified comparative negligence system with a 51 percent bar to recovery.
Damages are reduced when shared fault is less than 51 percent, and disallowed once they equal or exceed that threshold.
Insurance companies and negligent parties may point fingers and attempt to shift blame to you. Many times, these efforts are made without justification, with the hopes that you’ll give up and walk away without the compensation you deserve. When you hire Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers, our Chicago bicycle accident attorneys will fight back and work to protect your financial future.
Common Bicycle Accident Injuries
While wearing a bicycle helmet can reduce the risk of fatal injuries, bicyclists involved in Chicago auto accidents can still sustain:
- Traumatic brain injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Nerve damage
- Back injury
- Neck injury
- Road rash
- Crushing injury
- Joint injury
- Knee and leg injury
- Soft tissue injury
- Broken bones
- Catastrophic injury
Get to the closest hospital in Chicago after your bicycle accident. This will not only ensure prompt medical care but also formally document your injuries. You’ll need to establish a causal link between the bike accident and your trauma, and your medical record can help you do that.
What’s the Statute of Limitations for Illinois Bicycle Accident Lawsuits?
There’s a two-year statute of limitations that applies to most bicycle accident lawsuits in Illinois.
This gives you until the second anniversary of the date of your bicycle accident or a family member’s wrongful death to take legal action.
Don’t delay filing a claim. Once the deadline expires, you forfeit the opportunity to get the compensation you deserve.
Schedule a Free Consultation With an Experienced Chicago Bicycle Accident Lawyer
You do not – and should not – have to shoulder the consequences of your Chicago bicycle accident on your own. You got hurt because someone else was negligent, and they should be held fully accountable for the harm they’ve caused.
Call Attorneys of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers. Our Chicago bicycle accident attorneys are ready to help you stand up and fight to maximize your financial award.
Put an award-winning team with 30+ years of experience in your corner. Call our Chicago law office to get started. Your confidential case evaluation is 100 percent free, so contact us today.
Our personal injury law firm in Chicago, IL, also provides:
- Amusement Park Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Assault Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Aviation/Airplane Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Bad Faith Insurance Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Birth Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Boating Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Brain Injury Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Burn injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Bus Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Car Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Catastrophic Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Child Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Construction Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Dog Bite Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Electric Scooter Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Lyft Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Mass Transit Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Medical Malpractice Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Motorcycle accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Negligent Security Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Nursing Home Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Pedestrian Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Premises Liability Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Product Liability Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Sexual Assault Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Slip and Fall Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Taxi Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Train Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Truck Accident Attorneys in Chicago, IL
- Uber Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
- Workers’ Compensation Lawyers in Chicago, IL
- Workplace Accident Attorney in Chicago, IL
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in Chicago, IL